Filtration set up

Ashfro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Bangalore
Hey guys I am planning to keep 6 fish tanks and 3 breeder tanks ,which 4 of them will be 5 feet tanks and one 6 feet tank and one 4 ft tank so I am planning to keep a central sump filtration system and sponge filters with central air pump is it good or any suggestions which I openly accept

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hey guys I am planning to keep 6 fish tanks and 3 breeder tanks ,which 4 of them will be 5 feet tanks and one 6 feet tank and one 4 ft tank so I am planning to keep a central sump filtration system and sponge filters with central air pump is it good or any suggestions which I openly accept
Sounds good to me.

Reactions: Ashfro

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
only thing id change is the central sump. that's because if there's an illness its now in all the tanks, larger water volume that needs to be treated and if theres any system failure it affects all your fish. I'm a big fan of my tanks being independent of each other. that's just personal preference though.

Ashfro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Bangalore
only thing id change is the central sump. that's because if there's an illness its now in all the tanks, larger water volume that needs to be treated and if theres any system failure it affects all your fish. I'm a big fan of my tanks being independent of each other. that's just personal preference though.
Is there any way to start my tank instantly by adding fish on the beginning and cycling fast

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
Is there any way to start my tank instantly by adding fish on the beginning and cycling fast
do you have any established filter media already? cycling from starting with nothing is anything but fast. fast can lead to spikes and crashes. theres lots of threads on the proper way to cycle a tank.

Ashfro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Bangalore

Which is the best filtration if I don't use sump and cheap

Ashfro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2019
Bangalore
do you have any established filter media already? cycling from starting with nothing is anything but fast. fast can lead to spikes and crashes. theres lots of threads on the proper way to cycle a tank.
Ya I have filter media which is established from canister

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
you can always move part of it into the new tank/sump. also you can run sponge filters in the established tank to get them "seeded" with BB and then move it into the new tanks. then you could add some fish but you don't want to overstress the cycle by adding to many at once causing a crash. monitor your water parameters closely.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
What aquariums do you currently have? What filtration are you currently using? How much experience do you have setting up and maintaining aquariums? What is the purpose of all the new tanks? Are you interested in getting into breeding a particular species?

I am not trying to discourage you just trying to get a handle on where you are coming from and what you are trying to accomplish? Keeping fish is a ton of fun... but it is a lot more fun if you can avoid big die offs!

What ever you are trying to accomplish I would recommend building slowly! If you currently have one tank by all means add a second tank and cycle it properly. Using existing media will reduce the amount of time it takes to cycle the second tank but it will not eliminate the need for the cycling process. Or you can just rush or ignore the whole cycling process like many do... but that will most likely kill some fish along the way.

A central sump is doable but it does come with the risk of spreading disease between your tanks. A properly sized UV filter or DE filter will greatly reduce the chance of spreading disease. If all your tanks are going to be filled with offspring from our breeding stock there is much less chance of introducing a disease than if you are adding fish from outside sources.

There is no best filter for everyone. The best filter is the filter that works best for you. Hang on back filters are nice because they are usually very easy to maintain which means they usually get maintained more often.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
Wouldnt hurt to run a decent size UV sterilizer if you're going to go with a central system type setup. I only run 2 tanks off my sump but have a UV hooked up and havent had issues with disease spreading for the whole time it's been up (several years now). I also quarantine all new fish in a tank that's not on the system.

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store