Moving Help - Need Advice on Moving Piranha

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
So I am creating this thread preemptively because in about a year or more I will be moving to an apartment. Right now I plan on getting a Piraya Piranha and a 160 Gallon (96Lx24Wx16H) tank. If I'm able to pick up this 12 incher that is for sale in my area I will be doing so. The problem is that in a year so as I said, I will be moving. Now I am wondering if anyone could give me pointers or ideas and even provide some insight for moving Piranha.

With all of this I have many questions. Such as if I don't have a second 160 gallon tank at the apartment I will be forced to keep the animal in a rubbermaid or bucket of some type for a period of time. I am not sure how long he would/could stay in there safely. For example, if I took the fish out of the tank, secured him in something safe, gathered up everything in the car or moving truck, arrived at the apartment and got everything set up, I still have to let the tank cycle before putting him back in so he doesn't suffer from shock. Now my question is in this situation, how long do I NEED to cycle the newly setup tank before I can put him in? How long can he survive in a bucket or rubbermaid?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
p
So I am creating this thread preemptively because in about a year or more I will be moving to an apartment. Right now I plan on getting a Piraya Piranha and a 160 Gallon (96Lx24Wx16H) tank. If I'm able to pick up this 12 incher that is for sale in my area I will be doing so. The problem is that in a year so as I said, I will be moving. Now I am wondering if anyone could give me pointers or ideas and even provide some insight for moving Piranha.

With all of this I have many questions. Such as if I don't have a second 160 gallon tank at the apartment I will be forced to keep the animal in a rubbermaid or bucket of some type for a period of time. I am not sure how long he would/could stay in there safely. For example, if I took the fish out of the tank, secured him in something safe, gathered up everything in the car or moving truck, arrived at the apartment and got everything set up, I still have to let the tank cycle before putting him back in so he doesn't suffer from shock. Now my question is in this situation, how long do I NEED to cycle the newly setup tank before I can put him in? How long can he survive in a bucket or rubbermaid?

You can prevent recycling your aquarium when moving by placing the bio media from the filter or filters and toss them in the tote with the Piranha. The bio media will still have beneficial bacteria on it. Please don't rinse off the media with tap water. When you refill the aquarium at the new place add Dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime or Safe. This will prevent your bacteria on your bio media from dying.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
p

You can prevent recycling your aquarium when moving by placing the bio media from the filter or filters and toss them in the tote with the Piranha. The bio media will still have beneficial bacteria on it. Please don't rinse off the media with tap water. When you refill the aquarium at the new place add Dechlorinator such as Seachem Prime or Safe. This will prevent your bacteria on your bio media from dying.
How long can he survive in a bucket or rubbermaid?

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
p

So take the media out of the two FX6's and place them in the water like a substrate? Then fill up the rubbermaid with the tanks water and then when I get to the new place, just fill up the tank with normal water, put some Seachem Prime in, and dump the water from the rubbermiad in there with the fish? So no need to cycle at all? Like it could be done in the same day?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So take the media out of the two FX6's and place them in the water like a substrate? Then fill up the rubbermaid with the tanks water and then when I get to the new place, just fill up the tank with normal water, put some Seachem Prime in, and dump the water from the rubbermiad in there with the fish? So no need to cycle at all? Like it could be done in the same day?

Yes replace the bio media in the filters and make sure you add Dechlorinator prior to starting filters.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Years ago including myself people believed that bacteria was swimming in the water. The bacteria is sessile and attached to bio media, ornaments, and substrate such as gravel.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Yes replace the bio media in the filters and make sure you add Dechlorinator prior to starting filters.
So when I get to the new place, don't use the media that was from the FX6's that was put into the rubbermaid with the fish and instead buy new stuff to put into the Canister filters? I would have thought I would want to put that media back in the filters.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
So when I get to the new place, don't use the media that was from the FX6's that was put into the rubbermaid with the fish and instead buy new stuff to put into the Canister filters? I would have thought I would want to put that media back in the filters.

Read post #6

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store