Moving Help - Need Advice on Moving Piranha

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Yes replace the bio media in the filters and make sure you add Dechlorinator prior to starting filters.
Yes replace the bio media in the filters and make sure you add Dechlorinator prior to starting filters.
So this is where I get confused. Why add new media to the filters when I could just add the old media to them and not have to re-cycle? I'm obviously missing something here.

The-Almighty-Zugs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2019
Ontario, Canada
My mistake should have mentioned add old bio media.
Okay. So take the media out of the two FX6's and place them in the water like a substrate. Then fill up the rubbermaid with the tanks water, place the fish inside the rubbermaid and then when I get to the new place, just fill up the tank with normal water while I put some Seachem (not sure on type) in as I go, and dump the water from the rubbermiad in there with the fish. Then open up the FX6's and put in the old filter media. Hook them up and then we're off to the races?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Okay. So take the media out of the two FX6's and place them in the water like a substrate. Then fill up the rubbermaid with the tanks water, place the fish inside the rubbermaid and then when I get to the new place, just fill up the tank with normal water while I put some Seachem (not sure on type) in as I go, and dump the water from the rubbermiad in there with the fish. Then open up the FX6's and put in the old filter media. Hook them up and then we're off to the races?
Yes Sir you got it. Seachem Prime.

Somesed

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2021
Yep, this will work fine. no need to re-cycle the media. just keep it wet so the bacteria stays alive. I would suggest a battery-powered bubbler as well. They are cheap. I would suggest doing all in one day if you can, then you don't need a large rubbermaid. Take out the fish. drain the tank. move all the ****. add your substrate (gravel/sand) back to the tank. fill up the tank with new water. hook up your same FX6 (I wouldn't even bother putting the media in the travel bucket). let it recirculate for maybe an hour and you're good to go. I moved a 11" rhom from chicago to cincinnati (5 hour drive) in the winter in one day. I wouldn't plan on doing/moving anything else that day, but should be fine. if you are worried about temp, or the fish is large, I have found that the 10 gallon water coolers they sell at home depot work well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store