none overflow sump?

Jason98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Sheffield, UK
I want to put more filtration on my tank just because I can fit more under the stand:grinyes:. I have some k1 laying around so I thought why not use it in a fluidized sump but my only problem is an overflow. My tank isn't drilled and I don't want to drill it, and I cant put a hang on overflow due to the bracing on my tank. So I thought I could use an external filter to pump water down to the sump instead of using an overflow, I would obviously have the intake set at the top of the tank like the overflow would be. I would also use auto shut off on the filter so if anything would go wrong it wouldn't flood my stand. My tank has already got 2 external filters on it so if the sump setup was to shut off it wouldn't be a worry of having no filtration because the other 2 filters will still be running. The filter will be full of media so once the water has gone through the filter it would then run into the sump through a filter sock, around the k1 media and the be pumped back into my tank. What are your guys thoughts on this? is it a good idea? can it be improved?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Are you sure that once the power is cutoff from the pump in the tank that a natural gravity siphon would not still occur? When draining my tank with a pump, I've cut the power to the pump off, and the water would still drain because there was nothing to close the valve automatically once the power of the pump was cut off. The drain was essentially powered by gravity.

Jason98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Sheffield, UK
Are you sure that once the power is cutoff from the pump in the tank that a natural gravity siphon would not still occur? When draining my tank with a pump, I've cut the power to the pump off, and the water would still drain because there was nothing to close the valve automatically once the power of the pump was cut off. The drain was essentially powered by gravity.
That's my only problem I can see with this idea. I have like a spill tray that's about 3inchs high that all my equipment sits in so if the sump was to overflow it would run into this tray. If I have the intake pipe close to the top then surely the siphon would eventaully stop when the water level drops and it draws air in? I know it would have probably overflowed by then but my tray would have caught the water so then I would only need to remove that water and clean my tray.

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
it would obviously only drain down to the intake of the filter. so if you have enough room for that water amount in the sump then it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Jason98

Jason98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Sheffield, UK
Hey man, that sounds a bit scary if you think about the scenarios. Like if the power goes out the water would still siphon down to your sump and possibly flood it. Why the hesitation in drilling?
Only reason for not drilling the tank is that I haven't got another tank to put my fish whilst I do it. Also I haven't ever drilled a tank and I'm scared I'll break it, so I was thinking of a way where I could avoid drilling

Jason98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2019
Sheffield, UK
it would obviously only drain down to the intake of the filter. so if you have enough room for that water amount in the sump then it shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking so I would obviously have the water that's in the pipe and if a siphon starts then with the intake being at the top of the water level it wouldn't siphon for long

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store