Accidentally dumped too much food in tank

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
My sister in law accidentally dropped so much food in my new tank which is only 4 days old. I used the seeded media to have instant cycle but I know an instant cycle isn't guaranteed even with seeded filter media.

I didn't check water parameters as I believe in case of an amonia spike it will take some time to register. I ll teat my water tomorrow.

So what are my options? Do a water change? But I don't want to touch the filter media since its installed a few days ago and I don't want to risk and kill bb inside established media. I clean filter media always with my existing tank water but I can lose some bb if I clean the filter media. Any food that went to the filters will stay toxic to tank or is it ok once it is not inside tank?

Please advise. Thanks.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Reading your recent threads i'm taking it this is your tank with the dolphin cichlid in? If so it's a very young tank and your media, even though you threw some established media in as a kickstand, may still be catching up. So yes, a dollop of food getting sucked into your filter could cause problems. You're right to be concerned about rinsing out your media whilst it's in catch up mode.

I'd vacuum out the excess food if still all over your tank whilst doing a large water change, using conditioner obviously. Then monitor your parameters, the ammonia will be first to show. If and when it does you need to do more water changes and use a conditioner which renders the ammonia safe until your bio get up to speed.

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
About a decade ago, my wife killed my fish doing this. I was on a business trip, and I told her not to feed the fish, they would be fine. When I came back, there was a mound of NLS pellets rotting away in the front of the tank, the water was cloudy, and my discus were trying to breath through the surface. They died within a couple days.

So yeah, if there are fish in the tank, get it cleaned up fast.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Agee with the others check the ? quality, vacuum and water change.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Reading your recent threads i'm taking it this is your tank with the dolphin cichlid in?
I honestly can't keep up, so many threads, so many questions, and no clue if this member is a troll yanking everyone's chain, or what? He/she asks lots of questions, and still is, including question about different fish, and their "African cichlid" tank, but at this point I see no info being offered back to those that have been attempting to help.

So here's where I'm at, pics or it didn't happen.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Kashif314 Kashif314 Just in case you feel that I am somehow picking on you, this 100 gallon tank (that I have yet to see any pics of?) started out as a pipe dream, you didn't even own such a tank. Then it went from planning a cycle, to using bio media from your LFS (which most advised against for obvious reasons) than back to how to cycle, then it was planned for a flowerhorn, then blood parrots with African cichlids (as though there are only one type or species of African cichlid) then, you asked about buying a highly stressed C. moorii at your LFS, then as of just YESTERDAY you were asking about how many frontosa you could put in this 100 gallon, AND asking about Hikari food, and again referencing "African cichlids" as though all several hundred species (close to 1,000 combined) found in the Rift Lakes are herbivorous (they are NOT).

Am I missing anything, that was just off the top of my head?

Reactions: Kashif314

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I honestly can't keep up, so many threads, so many questions, and no clue if this member is a troll yanking everyone's chain, or what? He/she asks lots of questions, and still is, including question about different fish, and their "African cichlid" tank, but at this point I see no info being offered back to those that have been attempting to help.

So here's where I'm at, pics or it didn't happen.
Haha, i'm trying my best to be helpful, but like you RD i'm beginning to lose track of where the OP's up to he's posting that much stuff. Looks like his sisters taking an interest in the hobby now so maybe she'll start posting soon too. :duh:

• Wow
Reactions: RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store