Accidentally dumped too much food in tank

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Reading your recent threads i'm taking it this is your tank with the dolphin cichlid in? If so it's a very young tank and your media, even though you threw some established media in as a kickstand, may still be catching up. So yes, a dollop of food getting sucked into your filter could cause problems. You're right to be concerned about rinsing out your media whilst it's in catch up mode.

I'd vacuum out the excess food if still all over your tank whilst doing a large water change, using conditioner obviously. Then monitor your parameters, the ammonia will be first to show. If and when it does you need to do more water changes and use a conditioner which renders the ammonia safe until your bio get up to speed.
About a decade ago, my wife killed my fish doing this. I was on a business trip, and I told her not to feed the fish, they would be fine. When I came back, there was a mound of NLS pellets rotting away in the front of the tank, the water was cloudy, and my discus were trying to breath through the surface. They died within a couple days.

So yeah, if there are fish in the tank, get it cleaned up fast.
Agee with the others check the ? quality, vacuum and water change.
Agree with what everyone stated above would like to add don't feed fish for a couple of days after you do what was suggested.
good vacuum with a water change and you should be good, I would,nt mess with the media.
Yes its the same tank. I will do a water change today. Will suphon gravels. Yesterday I tried my best to remove the excess food from tank. Fish looks fine though. Now, no left over food. I will not feed them for two days and will keep track of my water parameters.

I got so worried but things look ok. Need to check my water parameters still. Didn't find time yet. Will do as soon I will be at home.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Yes its the same tank. I will do a water change today. Will suphon gravels. Yesterday I tried my best to remove the excess food from tank. Fish looks fine though. Now, no left over food. I will not feed them for two days and will keep track of my water parameters.

I got so worried but things look ok. Need to check my water parameters still. Didn't find time yet. Will do as soon I will be at home.
If your fish are acting normally you're already ahead of the game.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
I honestly can't keep up, so many threads, so many questions, and no clue if this member is a troll yanking everyone's chain, or what? He/she asks lots of questions, and still is, including question about different fish, and their "African cichlid" tank, but at this point I see no info being offered back to those that have been attempting to help.

So here's where I'm at, pics or it didn't happen.
Ok, well something HAS indeed happened! lol Thanks Ulu.
I honestly can't keep up, so many threads, so many questions, and no clue if this member is a troll yanking everyone's chain, or what? He/she asks lots of questions, and still is, including question about different fish, and their "African cichlid" tank, but at this point I see no info being offered back to those that have been attempting to help.

So here's where I'm at, pics or it didn't happen.
Kashif314 Kashif314 Just in case you feel that I am somehow picking on you, this 100 gallon tank (that I have yet to see any pics of?) started out as a pipe dream, you didn't even own such a tank. Then it went from planning a cycle, to using bio media from your LFS (which most advised against for obvious reasons) than back to how to cycle, then it was planned for a flowerhorn, then blood parrots with African cichlids (as though there are only one type or species of African cichlid) then, you asked about buying a highly stressed C. moorii at your LFS, then as of just YESTERDAY you were asking about how many frontosa you could put in this 100 gallon, AND asking about Hikari food, and again referencing "African cichlids" as though all several hundred species (close to 1,000 combined) found in the Rift Lakes are herbivorous (they are NOT).

Am I missing anything, that was just off the top of my head?
First of all yes I am sorry for not replying back but I use to reply back and always follow up with the threads I post. I didn't reply back to threads for three days because I am going through some health issues and was only keeping up with the new threads which was necessary questions from my side.

I am not a troll. I ll try to explain. I started my tank asking about the flowerhorn I saw in lfs. But my wife didn't want me to dedicate a tank only to a flowerhorn. So I decided to add African cichlids since they come in lots of colors and shape.

I asked about a dolphin cichlid which I liked and I didnt know that asking about that fish was inappropriate. Then I asked if I could add parrot fish with African and I was advised against it. So, I dropped the idea. Then I asked if its ok to add frontosa with my African cichlids and was advised against it. I really don't see what's so confusing about them. I hope you understand now the questions I asked and why I asked?

No I don't think you picking on me. You are always very helpful. You can ignore my questions if you find them silly. I will appreciate you please don't create doubts in other people's mind about my self. I am not here for fun. I ask same things again and again because I have this issue about being extra careful. Also I suffer from anxiety so I ask things several times.

Take for example that when I asked about instant tank cycle I was told that tank will be instantly cycled with established media. Now once I started my tank with seeded media I am being told cycled media doesn't guarantee a instant cycle. To avoid this I asked several times but was doubted as a troll that time.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's all good, but maybe slow the roll bro. lol Take a deep breath and stop and think about exactly what you would like to do with this tank, then spend some time doing some independent research, and save the questions for when you get things narrowed down a bit.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
OP doesn't want to risk seeded media but will risk the fish?

:crazy:
Risking a seeded media is INDEED killing fish. For now nothing seems wrong. Fish are happy and swimming and eating. If I clean the seeded media it will DEFINITELY kill beneficial bacteria which will lead to amonia build up. Got it?

Haha, i'm trying my best to be helpful, but like you RD i'm beginning to lose track of where the OP's up to he's posting that much stuff. Looks like his sisters taking an interest in the hobby now so maybe she'll start posting soon too. :duh:
Well there you go, that's my head cabbaged, can't even get my facts right now!
Umm you forgot the cloudy tank syndrome, just saying.
Ok, well something HAS indeed happened! lol Thanks Ulu.
Well I know when I'm beat -- dang, Kashif's got more than twice as many subs as I do! :(

And I'm not questioning he has a tank, he clearly does, but looking over all his videos, and all the various species of fish he has apparently kept over the last couple of years (in the same tank) -- incl. african butterflys, archer fish, green spotted scat, dwarf rainbows, gold gourami, elephant nose, denison barbs, German/Electric blue rams, glass fish, tiger barbs, banded cichlid, black ghost knifefish and various shrimp -- how can he possibly not understand the basic cycling process, or how to use heaters in tanks, or what causes a cloudy tank?

Also I have to say I am a wee bit curious as to what happened to all those fish but I'm kinda scared to know....Not trying to be Sherlock Holmes and always willing to help others but something seems juuuust a little fishy.
Well nothing says that all the fish photos are of his fish. And I'm not trying to imply that this guy is or is not genuine, regardless of his apparent lack of expertise.

This is just the first thing that popped up when I typed his username into Google.
You don't need to be sherlock Holmes too work out what happened to all his fish. His sister in law probably overfed them!
Well I specifically only chose the videos where the title said "My...." and excluded those where it didn't (e.g. discus, planted tanks, etc.). Note too that the fish species vids I reference above all have the same tank background (whereas others like discus etc. are different).

And gotcha, like you Ulu buddy I actually don't know if the guy is genuine or not, in fact it could be possibly be another family member using his name/accounts, as he/she has used the term "dear" in a good number of replies to threads/posts we've tried helping with. Anyway hopefully our advice will help steer whoever it is into good fish keeping practices because from the latest videos they appear to be basically back at ground zero with that tank.
Oh . . . :duh: phoo . . .

I missed the notes which said "my fish". I didn't go over his whole business. I don't like FB enough.
ROTFL this thread :ROFL:
You guys do find it entertaining right? Good for you. Enjoy it. About my sister in law, she loved the fish and asked if she could feed them and accidentally dropped too much food from the bag. Such mistake can happen from anyone.

About the fish in my videos (didn't know you guys would check all my videos) they didn't die. I had health issues and couldn't keep up with them so I re homed them to my friends and fish stores. Then I started tanking interest in planted tanks. Had two planted tanks. Hc cuba carpet, peark grass, monte carlo carpet and dragon rocks scape. I had pressurised co2 system for them. So you guys making fun of my sister that she killed the fish or that I killed the fish is not right but of course you guys find it funny so you can make fun.

I also had very successful breeding of Taiwan bee shrimps which even the most expert aquarists can't keep. Only I know how difficult it is to keep them. Using ro water and reminilize it with shrimp conditioner and keeping the water stable. But of course for you it maybe also a lie.

I didn't join this forum for fun or trolling.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Kashif314 Kashif314

I'm sorry if my brief comment was misinterpreted...I was just looking at all the confusion the others were talking about. This forum can be quite fun.

Reactions: islandguy11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
So what species of Mbuna & Aulonocara did you stock your tank with?

Reactions: Kashif314

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
So what species of Mbuna & Aulonocara did you stock your tank with?
Don't know about all names of fish I have. I was about to open a thread requesting to ID them. I took pictures in morning to post but now I won't ask for help because that would be considered trolling.

Proof. Its my tank. First layout.

20190908_210657.jpg

Then choose this layout:

20190910_231404.jpg

And this video of my tank now. Please watch with audio on.

Thanks

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hmm. Looks nice kashif. I’m sure there are enough folks here right now who could id some of those fish without you starting a new thread about it. Just speculating

Kashif, I don’t think what rd is saying to not ask questions. I think he is saying do a bit of research before asking every question here on 16 different threads. It’s not bad to ask questions, but if you can narrow it down before asking it will eliminate some of the confusion.

To add context to the troll comments. It isn’t uncommon for people to come online and post threads similar to some of your threads with the intent of disturbing others. If you tell us you are not, we can give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck with your new African cichlid tank sir

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store