Accidentally dumped too much food in tank

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Hmm. Looks nice kashif. I’m sure there are enough folks here right now who could id some of those fish without you starting a new thread about it. Just speculating

Kashif, I don’t think what rd is saying to not ask questions. I think he is saying do a bit of research before asking every question here on 16 different threads. It’s not bad to ask questions, but if you can narrow it down before asking it will eliminate some of the confusion.

To add context to the troll comments. It isn’t uncommon for people to come online and post threads similar to some of your threads with the intent of disturbing others. If you tell us you are not, we can give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck with your new African cichlid tank sir
+1, well said and level-headed as usual Matthew. Kashif, we were just giving you a little go buddy, I'm sure you'll note that some of those expressing confusion about your status were also the ones helping you out on multiple threads, but your explanation certainly helps, best of success with the new set-up.

Reactions: RD. and Matteus

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Hmm. Looks nice kashif. I’m sure there are enough folks here right now who could id some of those fish without you starting a new thread about it. Just speculating

Kashif, I don’t think what rd is saying to not ask questions. I think he is saying do a bit of research before asking every question here on 16 different threads. It’s not bad to ask questions, but if you can narrow it down before asking it will eliminate some of the confusion.

To add context to the troll comments. It isn’t uncommon for people to come online and post threads similar to some of your threads with the intent of disturbing others. If you tell us you are not, we can give you the benefit of the doubt.

Good luck with your new African cichlid tank sir
Thanks for liking the tank. I did say before I am not a troll but I guess words aren't sufficient enough. The first time I was called a troll when I asked about cycling a tank. I asked to double sure. I was told that a seeded media means instant cycle and I just need to add less fish and and feed sparingly. But I was still unsure but took the advise and started tank with seeded media and you know the very next thing I was told? I was told that an established filter media doesn't guarantee an instant cycle. The thing I was worried about was told me but when I raised doubts about it, it was considered as trolling. I was raising the same concern that maybe using an established media will still have issues.

About my threads, I always search before asking for help. Please have a look. Below is a list of all threads started by me. Kindly let me know which thread I started is irrelevant or comes under definition of trolling?

Screenshot_20190919-103229_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190919-103250_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190919-103302_Samsung Internet.jpg

All the questions I asked, I did a google search before. After I find conflicting opinions I came to you guys for help since you are experts.

I didn't know that I had to follow a pattern while asking questions. These questions are not co related but they are legit and genuine. I didn't feel I need to write a background behind every question I asked. That would be wasting of time of people who gonna reply to them. So I just asked them to the point about that particular problem or suggestion.

I am not offended but I still believe that making fun of someone and other members enjoying it isn't a good thing.

Yes, I do know I am a newbie among you and you guys are here and know each other for long and I am thankful for the warm welcome you guys gave me but after that there was no need for this unnecessary criticism just because I asked too many questions.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I am not a troll. I ll try to explain. I started my tank asking about the flowerhorn I saw in lfs. But my wife didn't want me to dedicate a tank only to a flowerhorn. So I decided to add African cichlids since they come in lots of colors and shape.

I asked about a dolphin cichlid which I liked and I didnt know that asking about that fish was inappropriate. Then I asked if I could add parrot fish with African and I was advised against it. So, I dropped the idea. Then I asked if its ok to add frontosa with my African cichlids and was advised against it. I really don't see what's so confusing about them. I hope you understand now the questions I asked and why I asked?

No I don't think you picking on me. You are always very helpful. You can ignore my questions if you find them silly. I will appreciate you please don't create doubts in other people's mind about my self. I am not here for fun. I ask same things again and again because I have this issue about being extra careful.
It's not about being inappropriate, but try viewing this from the other side of the fence. You say that you have this thing about being extra careful, but after all these questions in assorted threads, and all the answers given, in the end you pretty much just did what you wanted to do, and as far as I can tell never updated this tank, as in what you had actually done. Right? Kind of leaves everyone guessing, when you then start asking about fish such as frontosa, the type of food that you should be feeding, etc. How can anyone possibly give you accurate advice, with so many holes in the story? Think about it.

You now have a mix of mbuna, aulonocara, and haps. And just an FYI for you, some of those fish are predatory haps, and classified as carnivores. Not trolling to ask the species, but it would have made a lot more sense to ask first, then buy, not the other way around. That's the part that is most confusing to me. You ask a million questions, then just go out and buy a bunch of random "African cichlids", I'm guessing based solely on their looks/colors, with no real plan in place for overall balance and/or aggression levels, in a 100 gallon tank, that is sparsely decorated. Ok, no worries, good luck. Hopefully your Nimbochromis play nice as they all mature.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I honestly can't keep up, so many threads, so many questions, and no clue if this member is a troll yanking everyone's chain, or what? He/she asks lots of questions, and still is, including question about different fish, and their "African cichlid" tank, but at this point I see no info being offered back to those that have been attempting to help.

So here's where I'm at, pics or it didn't happen.

And just for the record, I never called you a troll. See above. I was just calling things as I saw them. Some might consider that a character flaw. Personally I do not. Thanks for posting the vid, at least now everyone knows what you are dealing with fish wise, before offering any further advice. Like I said, good luck.

Reactions: Kashif314

Schniz

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2019
Georgia
Not attacking you RD. Every post I read on here I honestly hope you have joined in and shared some of your vast knowledge on fish keeping. I grew up in the early 70's and as a kid I thought Billy Jack was the coolest baddest dude out there. When I first joined MFK I kept seeing Billy Jack's pic in all the threads and couldn't help but hear Billy Jack's voice when reading the comments. Even with a hot dog eating shark I still hear Billy Jack talking to me. It's a compliment, not an attack.

Reactions: Matteus

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Kashif314 Kashif314
. . . I didn't join this forum for fun or trolling.
I'm sorry you got dogpiled.

Many folks come here with lots of questions, looking for easy answers.
They rarely ask the right questions or ask in a meaningful way.
Most of the questions people ask here don't have specific answers.

90% of the time questioners are asked to provide more specific data. If they didn't know enough to give that data first , it is a sign to us that, "Here is a novice, or perhaps even a time-waster (troll)." Most of the best and brightest here are very busy people, and rightfully jealous of their limited time for fishkeeping.

You see, not one of us can ever hope to keep up.

New fish are evolving and going extinct faster than humans can write it all down. This is an incredibly complicated business, where Cichlids are about the worst for rapid physical evolution and evolving behaviors.

Unless you purposely make yourself unpopular, the folks at MFK will help you with it all, but some effort (and a large portion of human understanding) may be required on your part.

. . . If I clean the seeded media it will DEFINITELY kill beneficial bacteria . . .
You won't kill much if it's done correctly, and when conditions of pH and temperature are correct it blooms back almost overnight, given food enough.

You can get a suitable hose and siphon the media to a bucket. Rinse it in a sieve with tankwater, and siphon it right back into place with the hose. You can just scoop it, but a siphon makes less mess and insures good placement. Don't let the media get cold or dry ever.

But the fish come first.
Always and foremost.

They will live without the bacteria, given enough clean water changes and proper feeding schedule.
And bacteria grow right back, in a correct environment.

The more you know about what you have, the better we can give advice.

Strain the brain a bit more, fellow! ;)

Reactions: Kashif314

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Nice tank in the video, Kashif. I don't remember every thread I comment on, or whose thread is whose half the time, but if this was the tank you were having trouble with, your fish look happy with nice color in the video. As long as ammonia/nitrite are good in the tank, that mild cloudiness should clear up over time and not bother the fish-- I think that was a question in one of your threads. And, yes, if someone accidentally drops too much food in the tank, best thing is simply to vacuum it right back out and normally it's not a big deal.

Some of the fish you have will get large as adults. C. Moori (dolphin cichlids) and Nimbocrhomis (the mottled looking fish) can get 9 inches or more, some Nimbochromis a good bit more, and are fish predators in the wild, meaning in a tank they can eat smaller fish. Eventually they won't all fit the tank and you'll need to make adjustments, but this is common with a Malawi cichlid tank and for now it looks good. I also see what looks like Copadichromis borleyi in the tank (blue head, red body, blue dorsal). They're nice fish, normally peaceful, though I've had a couple of exceptions that were unusually feisty.

...It's true, sometimes guys show up on fish forums and pretend to be newbies and ask a barrage of questions just to amuse themselves or start arguments. But I was a mod on cyphos.com (which is gone now) for years and maybe 10 years ago we had someone who posted a lot of questions, sometimes several versions of the same question, for similar reasons as you mentioned. Don't remember his name but he was a nice guy and meant well, just unsure of himself, worried about doing a good job with his fish, etc. and for him it was all a bit intimidating. Took him a lot longer than you to make decisions, all the while asking many questions, but his tank turned out nice. So no offense meant to him, I liked him, but so far you're moving along much faster. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store