Temperament: Aggressive
Conspecific Temperament: Aggressive
Maximum Size: 10.5"

Reactions: Kashif314

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I agree, start a thread specifically about your fish, and over time observe your fish, take feedback, and adjust until you have a nice healthy balance.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I am keeping a close eye on my fish and if and when I see things getting out of hand I will take decision and will give them to store. I did read that this particular fish hunts on small cichlids with his hunting technique of playing dead under sand.

There is no if, but there will be a when. My advice, don't wait for when, because often times by the time when arrives it is already too late. Stressed fish = sick fish, especially with African cichlids.

100% guarantee that those Nimbochromis are not going to be a long term fit in your comm tank. One, maybe, 5, never.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
There is no if, but there will be a when. My advice, don't wait for when, because often times by the time when arrives it is already too late. Stressed fish = sick fish, especially with African cichlids.

100% guarantee that those Nimbochromis are not going to be a long term fit in your comm tank. One, maybe, 5, never.
+1. You'd need quite a large tank to house 5 of them.

Also, what fools people is they may not see the aggression take place. They may see what they interpret as a mystery illness when a fish stops eating, is breathing fast and/or hanging near the surface in a corner, and not realize this is a sign the fish is being chased or bullied and a warning to do something before it's too late. You don't always see tattered fins, at first the fish might be chased a lot, lip locked, or could be battered without visible injuries. Especially in a Malawi tank, many 'mystery illnesses' and cases of bloat start with stress from aggression.

The other main cause of "Malawi bloat" ime is an individual fish that overeats, even though the tank as a whole is not overfed. Feed modertately, learn to recognize and act on aggression or an overeating individual fish, and ime you can can virtually eliminate issues with bloat for Malawi cichlids. A sign of this is when one fish (not a female developing eggs) keeps getting fatter than the others, sometimes you see them eating like pigs compared to the other fish.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
. . . I need one more advise. I have many more questions to ask, shall I ask them in my "tank journal" thread instead of starting new threads for each question?
It depends very much on the questions.

Kashif, You strike me as a man of fast action.
This is good for catching fish, but not for keeping them alive.
You must be circumspect and resist impulse.

Observation time is really important.
If you don't notice adverse changes early, you will :cry: later.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Why is it not possible to research first? Of course it is. Lots of web sites supply profile info, such as https://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/?region=M and ALL of the fish in your tank are commonly sold African cichlids, nothing rare or unique. At the very least you can research the different genus, and different groups that will coexist, and which fish will be more aggressive, in the confines of an aquarium. Individual personalities of each fish aside, you can at the very least get a general idea of what may or may not work out long term in a 100 gallon tank.

How much research one wants to do, and how careful one wants to be, is up to them. Certainly we have all made impulse buys over the years, myself included, but with the WWW the data is always available for those that want to put in the time.

You can post a link here to your tank journal, and folks can help you there. Up to you.
As an example …...

Nimbochromis venustus

Temperament: Aggressive
Conspecific Temperament: Aggressive
Maximum Size: 10.5"

Thanks for this link. Yes, they are common cichlids but in my city I am having a hard time getting them. I see peacocks with washed out colours or mbunas very very small. I never seen the size of dolphin i had ever in stores. Never seen an adult dolphin too. So that's why I fall for them and do impulse buying.

I agree, start a thread specifically about your fish, and over time observe your fish, take feedback, and adjust until you have a nice healthy balance.
Thanks. I will start a new thread.

PS. That nimbochromus is a cool fish. I'm generally not a huge fan of rift lake cichlids, but I like that one.
Too bad that it will turn into a monster one day.

+1. You'd need quite a large tank to house 5 of them.

Also, what fools people is they may not see the aggression take place. They may see what they interpret as a mystery illness when a fish stops eating, is breathing fast and/or hanging near the surface in a corner, and not realize this is a sign the fish is being chased or bullied and a warning to do something before it's too late. You don't always see tattered fins, at first the fish might be chased a lot, lip locked, or could be battered without visible injuries. Especially in a Malawi tank, many 'mystery illnesses' and cases of bloat start with stress from aggression.

The other main cause of "Malawi bloat" ime is an individual fish that overeats, even though the tank as a whole is not overfed. Feed modertately, learn to recognize and act on aggression or an overeating individual fish, and ime you can can virtually eliminate issues with bloat for Malawi cichlids. A sign of this is when one fish (not a female developing eggs) keeps getting fatter than the others, sometimes you see them eating like pigs compared to the other fish.
Yes I know about Malawi bloat issues. I will re home these giraffe cichlids soon for sure.

It depends very much on the questions.

Kashif, You strike me as a man of fast action.
This is good for catching fish, but not for keeping them alive.
You must be circumspect and resist impulse.

Observation time is really important.
If you don't notice adverse changes early, you will :cry: later.
Yes, I do impulse buying mainly because I see the fish for the first time and gets very excited and always gets the nod from the store employee. I will try to be more responsible now.

Reactions: Ulu and RD.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yes, I do impulse buying mainly because I see the fish for the first time and gets very excited and always gets the nod from the store employee. I will try to be more responsible now.
Sounds like your LFS employees also need to be more responsible, instead of just trying to make money off you with new fish every time you walk into the store and not caring about the results/consequences (other than thinking, no worries, it'll come back to us soon for free as a re-home).

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Kashif314 Kashif314

Yes, do a journal with pics...they're lots of fun and everyone can exchange ideas!

Check out a thread I did called the "Ultimate Troll thread" in the Lounge area. I was inspired to do it based on some earlier posts. The worst ones are before 2016...you'll see what I mean. It's a parody of crazy posts from before. :y220d:

Last edited:

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
If you have a whole bunch of questions why don’t you group them. Ie fish compatibility, plants, filters suggestions, substrate.

Or like others have mentioned make a journal log of your tank.. keep Pics, update it with your tank info, equipment upgrades, changes, add your questions there?

We as fish keepers will always have questions and no amount of research is going to give us all the same answers. we have to take the info we get from websites sites, Lfs, forums like this and make decisions on what we think is best for our tanks...no one size fits all...that’s the fun :)

Very nice looking fish btw, loving the Neutrino, I was always drawn to them bc of the spotted pattern but never owned bc of size and temperament

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store