Premium high gold cross back

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
The seller kinda backed out from Shipping, as he wasn't sure of sending a 15" specimen for 34hrs.

In lieu of that he is sending this one to me @ 5-6" size
IMG-20190922-WA0020.jpg

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Well I can kinda understand the seller's feeling in regards to shipping a smaller fish, but it could be your lucky day, that's a super nice looking full helmet Goldenhead Xback, with mostly already crossed back as well, what a score! And with that development already at only 5-6", it also shows how far the line breeding programs of the farms have come (esp. with the GHXB variation).

Look forward to more pix after arrival and also hearing your plans (growout tank, then into a show tank or the pond?). Is it from Malaysia or Singapore? Also curious as given this fish is a considerably higher grade than the last one, but it's also quite a bit smaller, was the price about the same or more for this one?

Reactions: Dloks

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Well I can kinda understand the seller's feeling in regards to shipping a smaller fish, but it could be your lucky day, that's a super nice looking full helmet Goldenhead Xback, with mostly already crossed back as well, what a score! And with that development already at only 5-6", it also shows how far the line breeding programs of the farms have come (esp. with the GHXB variation).

Look forward to more pix after arrival and also hearing your plans (growout tank, then into a show tank or the pond?). Is it from Malaysia or Singapore? Also curious as given this fish is a considerably higher grade than the last one, but it's also quite a bit smaller, was the price about the same or more for this one?
All arowana are destined for the pond. Will grow it out take pics and eventually the pond.
150usd more.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Do these fish have that shine due to linebred genes or due to hormones or is it white tank treatment at Avery early stage

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Do these fish have that shine due to linebred genes or due to hormones or is it white tank treatment at Avery early stage
Good question, my personal opinion is that it's mostly line bred genes, though WTT could be a factor (and one that many peeps debate about its effects). I'd bet that most of its life so far has been in WTT, like most all Aros nowadays. Who knows for sure, but I kinda doubt hormones is a factor, esp. if from a decent farm.

When I first got my GHXB I made its tank WTT (except front panel). But after about 3 months I got really bored of that, so changed the background and sides to blue color. I haven't done anything with the bottom yet (which I stupidly also ordered with white Oyama stick), that's going to require a more involved solution.

But here's my point: many say that WTT effects will go away after the Aro later has a darker background. This has not happened at all with mine, it's still just as shiny/crossed (if not more) over the 7 months since I changed from WTT.

I don't know if this means WTT works or simply that genetics trumps all (or both). So with yours only time and change of environment will tell, but again I'd be surprised if that fish's shine went away with good care.

Reactions: headbanger_jib

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Good question, my personal opinion is that it's mostly line bred genes, though WTT could be a factor (and one that many peeps debate about its effects). I'd bet that most of its life so far has been in WTT, like most all Aros nowadays. Who knows for sure, but I kinda doubt hormones is a factor, esp. if from a decent farm.

When I first got my GHXB I made its tank WTT (except front panel). But after about 3 months I got really bored of that, so changed the background and sides to blue color. I haven't done anything with the bottom yet (which I stupidly also ordered with white Oyama stick), that's going to require a more involved solution.

But here's my point: many say that WTT effects will go away after the Aro later has a darker background. This has not happened at all with mine, it's still just as shiny/crossed (if not more) over the 7 months since I changed from WTT.

I don't know if this means WTT works or simply that genetics trumps all (or both). So with yours only time and change of environment will tell, but again I'd be surprised if that fish's shine went away with good care.
I am not gonna put any fish through such treatment, I can't imagine living in blinding white conditions

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
WTT for sure I would think, but great looking full helmet aro!
When you say WTT for sure Neil, are you referring to the shine/crossing level or the currently lighter coloration of the fish being due to WTT, or both? For myself I was referring to shine/crossing level, which I personally believe is more genetic related -- that fish didn't get a full helmet like that, and at that age just because it was in WTT for a few months.

Yes, when changing out from WTT to darker background for sure the fish will also become darker/golder, but this is mostly an unavoidable environmental response imo as the fish naturally want to blend in better (though how gold it eventually becomes will still be influenced by genetics).

But again I'm of the opinion that while WTT "may" enhance shine/crossing level (and will certainly make it a lighter overall color), changing from WTT to darker background will not make the shine/crossing go away (if a fish also has good genetics).

I am not gonna put any fish through such treatment, I can't imagine living in blinding white conditions
Each to his own of course, but again that's almost assuredly what the fish has grown up with so far, though certainly no reason to continue it yourself if not inclined.

While this thinking also did enter into my decision to stop WTT, truth be told my fish's behavior or apparent 'happiness level' did not change one iota as far as I could tell after or since making the transition to blue backgrounds. For the record I will also add that my GHXB is much more robust and no health issues whatsoever compared to my BBXB, which I have never kept in WTT (only black bottom and dark purple background), but this could very much be down to chance/coincidence (I'm certainly not going to say WTT helped my GHXB be healthy/strong, but it's still the fact that this is the case, despite the "stress" of having lived in WTT for first ~year of his life).

But taking the whole question of WTT farther one could say similar about bare bottom tanks in general -- many people can't imagine these majestic fish (or others) living in such boring, unnatural conditions. It's a slippery slope argument to be sure.

Last edited:

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
When you say WTT for sure Neil, are you referring to the shine/crossing level or the currently lighter coloration of the fish being due to WTT, or both?
Both. Genetics always trumps everything else, but from what I have seen if that same fish goes into a tank with a black background/darker setting (I assume same in pond) it will go from 24K (lighter tone) to a darker more brassy gold.

edited to add: I believe that WTT speeds up the process of shine & maybe crossing, but just my own theory.

Reactions: islandguy11
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store