Premium high gold cross back

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Yes. 6th level is not confirmed.... but 5th level is more or less guaranteed for a crossback

Then there are red tail golden (4th level)

high back golden (4.5 to 5th level) , supposedly a premium version of a red tail golden

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
So this arowana stuff sounds like you are either talking about a car.....gold rims, or that kids show dragon ball z with the 6th level stuff. Cars I understand but the only car id ever get with gold rims would be a TA. As for DBZ I never could understand it.
If the fish is nice looking then it's up to you whether or not its worth the $. All the other stuff is just sales pitch and pride.
In a way quite true, but investing in an Asian Arowana is kinda different than buying most other types of fish. And yes many owners take it to a crazy degree -- go on to some dedicated Arowana forums and you'll hear of guys rushing home from work every day and checking to see if their Arowana crossed another half millimeter lol.

This photo helps explain the different levels we're referring to:

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
How much does a nice Asian arowana cost in Asia?

If they weren't banned here, it's definitely a fish I would look to keep in the future.

Reactions: islandguy11

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
So this arowana stuff sounds like you are either talking about a car.....gold rims, or that kids show dragon ball z with the 6th level stuff. Cars I understand but the only car id ever get with gold rims would be a TA. As for DBZ I never could understand it.
If the fish is nice looking then it's up to you whether or not its worth the $. All the other stuff is just sales pitch and pride.
Well it ain't that simple as arowana show their Color and shape as they grow, so judging how a small one would look when it gets big needs an experienced eye, which I am not.

The certificate helps, as it gives the type of arowana and gives us an expectation, also gives the farm name that gives us an idea regarding the quality of a fish

Reactions: RD. and islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
How much does a nice Asian arowana cost in Asia?

If they weren't banned here, it's definitely a fish I would look to keep in the future.
Considerably less than say 5 years ago -- you can get a nice Golden for about $500-$600 and a really nice one for about $900-$1,000. Comparable Super Reds would start maybe $200-$300 more.

And for sure one should buy the fish, not the cert, but also agreed with Jibran a certificate, while no guarantee, can give us at least some knowledge and confidence about an Aro's background and quality potential. If you were considering 2 fish that looked very similar quality but one came from a more renowned farm, most would likely go with that one unless there was a big price difference..

Reactions: RD. and adamsfishes

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yes, for sure the cert helps, but allow me to explain further. A local friend used to import Asian aros from Singapore, and while the farm was well known and had great quality, and was a sponsor here at MFK at that time, it is IMO always best to buy the fish, preferably in person.

My friend looked for more than just shine, potential for crossing, etc. He also watched the fish, it's behavior, how it carried itself & moved when it swam. He was very picky, but over the years and the many fish he imported and personally owned he acquired a keen eye for picking a winner, out of a group of young fish. This was a fish that he would be happy with for many years.

Not that the two species compare, but in the flowerhorn section it is quite common (almost a daily occurrence) where someone is enquiring as to the quality of their fish. IMO it's best to select a fish that you personally like, and not worry about the rest. How pearly it is, what level of shine, or whether it fully crosses are not as important, unless one is paying mega bucks for best of the best quality. Then I guess that becomes a greater part of the overall equation.

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well it ain't that simple as arowana show their Color and shape as they grow, so judging how a small one would look when it gets big needs an experienced eye, which I am not.

The certificate helps, as it gives the type of arowana and gives us an expectation, also gives the farm name that gives us an idea regarding the quality of a fish
Sounds like to much work to me. They sure are pretty though. Kinda glad I cant be weighed down by that here.....i guess. As for the fish that have that same kind of stigma that are avail here I could care less about them trully, seems that kind of stuff put me off. Always had that with coral call it a cool name and bam sell tons of it. Ehh to each his own I guess.

Reactions: islandguy11

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Yes, for sure the cert helps, but allow me to explain further. A local friend used to import Asian aros from Singapore, and while the farm was well known and had great quality, and was a sponsor here at MFK at that time, it is IMO always best to buy the fish, preferably in person.

My friend looked for more than just shine, potential for crossing, etc. He also watched the fish, it's behavior, how it carried itself & moved when it swam. He was very picky, but over the years and the many fish he imported and personally owned he acquired a keen eye for picking a winner, out of a group of young fish. This was a fish that he would be happy with for many years.

Not that the two species compare, but in the flowerhorn section it is quite common (almost a daily occurrence) where someone is enquiring as to the quality of their fish. IMO it's best to select a fish that you personally like, and not worry about the rest. How pearly it is, what level of shine, or whether it fully crosses are not as important, unless one is paying mega bucks for best of the best quality. Then I guess that becomes a greater part of the overall equation.
Much agreed, I personally would never buy an Asian Arowana I hadn't seen in person for the very reasons you mention. I've used pix and videos from dealers to narrow down my choices with 1 Aro, but still didn't decide 100% til I saw it in person in Bangkok.

Sounds like to much work to me. They sure are pretty though. Kinda glad I cant be weighed down by that here......
Believe me, sometimes I feel the same way -- and the frustrating thing is you can spend all that time and money to find & buy the beautiful fish you want, then lots of time and money trying to provide for it and groom it to bring out the best....then BAM! -- Aro gets spooked and decides to thrash itself (losing scales, maybe a barbel, etc.) by jumping around your tank, or even worse takes flight outside of its home. Let's not even get into how whimsical and stubborn they can be when it comes to feeding/diet...

When I see my fellow Americans back home dreaming about Asian Aros being legal there, some part of me says, "Careful what you wish for, these fish can drive your crazy one way or another lol".

Reactions: twentyleagues

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
DSC_1399.jpg

DSC_1400.jpg

This is an RTG from a good farm and selected for me by a friend, grew him from 5" to 22".

And the above pics are when he was 22".

And my care was just basic, good water, good accomodation and good food, no tanning no probiotics nothing fancy
View attachment DSC_1232.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store