fish for kids?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Is flake food a must??? Coz honestly i’d probably recommend the NLS line of pellets as they come in a lot of different sizes and are pretty good...

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Is flake food a must??? Coz honestly i’d probably recommend the NLS line of pellets as they come in a lot of different sizes and are pretty good...
I was thinking about that too, as they would probably be better for the apistos and cories, but I haven't had good luck with pellets for tetras. J jyabs7 I would suggest going with pellets and flakes, or possibly just nls 1mm pellets. Any bigger and the tetras would have trouble with them.

Suzisuzisuzi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
I have in the past maintained a 5 gallon tank with 2 mollies and 2 platties. We ran into trouble only after a move - a fish got stressed and jumped out, a new fish was bought and not quaratined and... well you all know that story. I tested my water quality regularly and the tank was in great shape for a year before the disaster, and it was my first ever tank. Super easy fish. I also think you could get away with a school of 5-6 of the tiny tetras (e.g. neon) in there.

my kid would want danios but... that's minimum 10 gallon long tank for a decent school. they're super fast zippy silvery fish that are active and fun for kids to watch!

Reactions: jyabs7

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
J jyabs7 Do you plan on sticking to one of the previously mentioned stock lists, or possibly wander off the beaten path a bit? Any fish you have in mind that weren't mentioned before?

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
J jyabs7 Do you plan on sticking to one of the previously mentioned stock lists, or possibly wander off the beaten path a bit? Any fish you have in mind that weren't mentioned before?
I'm thinking of sticking fairly close to the list you came up with. There were a few others I saw that caught my eye, I bookmarked them on the computer but cant quite remember their names off hand. Put so much thought into the mechanics of the tank I figure the fish part will end up being the easiest when it's time to order!

In good news, the main parts of the gator tank finally started getting delivered. Hoping to have it completed and the gator moved in by wednesday which means it's almost fish tank time!

Reactions: Angelphish

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Don’t forget to show off the enclosure.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Oddball Oddball was humble about it though.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Oddball Oddball was humble about it though.
The joke I was trying to make was that you become the center of attention in almost any room once you mention that you own an alligator...

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
haha, you are exactly right Angelphish. Even the fedex guy asks about him everytime he's up here. He's still a baby yet at about 20 inches or so but this next enclosure should last him til summer or later. Then it'll be home to a Tegu, or other large lizard. I'm super excited to get this thing going. It gave me a taste of how hard it'll be to plan his final enclosure...aka his own building on the north side of the property.

Reactions: Angelphish
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store