fish for kids?

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Got the tank cleaned up and ready to start working on it. Wednesday will be the day i hope to get water flowing through it.

For plants I went with:

Dwarf Hairgrass, Anubias Nana,Java Fern,Rotala Indica,Madagascar Lace,Wisteria,Moneywort and a few others. I also ordered up some extra floaty plants to put in my gator pond.

I really wanted a background, but i'm going to be smart for once and wait on that. The one i fell in love with is about $400 so that can wait.

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
after all that...might be delaying the tank yet again. the FX6 doesn't fit through the door way of the stand :nilly: There's enough room once it's in, it's just an inch or so too wide to get through the entryway of it. So i'll see what i can come up with in the meantime. Plants come tomorrow, so i'd like to get creative before then, otherwise i might hold off on doing anything with the tank just yet

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
after all that...might be delaying the tank yet again. the FX6 doesn't fit through the door way of the stand :nilly: There's enough room once it's in, it's just an inch or so too wide to get through the entryway of it. So i'll see what i can come up with in the meantime. Plants come tomorrow, so i'd like to get creative before then, otherwise i might hold off on doing anything with the tank just yet
Damn, sounds like you need to upgrade and you don't even have fish yet.

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
i'm not even finding any stands online that have openings big enough, and aren't $800 lol.
Make your own. If aesthetics aren't an issue, about $25-$30 bucks in untreated 2x4's and some wood screws and about 2-3 hours of work will get you a functioning stand that's wide open underneath. If aeshetics are an issue you can get some sanded plywood and skin it and make doors wide enough for your needs but it will take a bit more skill and $. still shouldn't be more than 100-200 bucks though

Reactions: Angelphish

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Make your own. If aesthetics aren't an issue, about $25-$30 bucks in untreated 2x4's and some wood screws and about 2-3 hours of work will get you a functioning stand that's wide open underneath. If aeshetics are an issue you can get some sanded plywood and skin it and make doors wide enough for your needs but it will take a bit more skill and $. still shouldn't be more than 100-200 bucks though
Another solution is to buy a tank that requires a larger stand...

Reactions: fishhead0103666

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
We don't have any stores around us, the price for used tanks is incredible. So that's out until i make a trip for bulk supplies. I'll either toss the filter to the side of the stand for now or just scrap the plants and take my time finding a new stand. i'm def taking a break from building stands and stuff for a while after that last project lol

Reactions: Angelphish

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
I ended up putting the filter next to the stand for now. Itll work on cycling while I browse for a new stand. If I find one soon I can drain it and move it. Wouldnt be the first awful move I've done with a tank lol

So everything seems leak free now. Had a few scares. The fx6 likes to leak when I turn down the valve, but I think I got that situated. My other one does the same thing.

Added some prime, clarity, and stability. I imagine itll clear up by tomorrow or so. The substrate was awesome and really didnt dirty the water all that much.

Planting was interesting, it's not perfect, or an artist's touch, but the plants are in the tank lol. I tried for the most part to get the plants that will grow tallest to be in the middle and the back, but some I wasnt too sure on. Either way, everything should be decently happy.

To make due until I get my background I got a piece of cardboard and sprayed it black, taped it to the outside of the back of the tank. Doesnt look too ****ty. right now you cant even see it so whatever ha

20191009_181228.jpg

jyabs7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2019
Oh, and anyone reccomend a spray bar? I seen one on ebay that I feel I'd like better than the fluval output thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store