Substrate for African ciclids and what to do for a long trip

KenisFishRoom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
Hello. I’m new to the cichlid world. I’m just wondering what kind of stuff to use on the bottom. I currently use a mix of small rocks and smaller pebbles. Also, what should I do for a 2 week ish... trip?

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Get a friend or family member to come feed them and maintenance the tank. Be precise when you show them so there are no incidents. And do a large water change before leaving to make sure aquarium is set.

KenisFishRoom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2019
Bozeman, Montana
Get a friend or family member to come feed them and maintenance the tank. Be precise when you show them so there are no incidents. And do a large water change before leaving to make sure aquarium is set.
Sounds good. I got an auto feeder.. the last time I trusted a family member to water change it didn’t go well

Reactions: tlindsey

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
Yea unfortunately everyone is always like" oh it's fish I got this" proceeds to feed all food we have and leave all the lights on

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Regarding substrate for an African Cichlid tank; If your tap is hard w/ elevated PH, just about any small grain gravel or sand will do. If the water is more towards the neutral or acidic side, the substrate should consist of Aragonite or Dolomite. Plenty of commercial African Cichlid specific substrates available.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The only time I've ever lost fish while on vacation, is when I asked someone to come over and feed them.
I came home to a smelly over fed tank with a bunch of dead fish, and rotting food on the bottom..
Since then I never ask anyone to feed, let them fast for a week (or even two weeks), and have never had a death or problem since.
For substrate, I like aragonite sand, it helps buffer pH and alkalinity.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store