Altum Angelfish

shoreline

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Seattle
So you think my fish are skinny? LOL, opinions are abundant. Not making excuses but they were younger on that picture from a couple months ago and I try not to over feed. But hey I'm willing to listen to any advice my friend. I've never had CB fish only wilds. The longest I kept them were a year and a half. I had to sell them because i was relocating. I use to live in Maryland. Now I'm in Georgia, hopefully this is the last move and I can look forward to your type of success. Anyhow you mention getting your hands on some wild Atabapo. I know someone who brings in really nice fish. I purchased from him twice this year. It would be interesting to see if you could get some to spawn. It definitely would be good for the hobby.

Lionel
I think I'd be willing to purchase wild if somebody raised them to full size and I can buy them that way. Not a full size grown in the wild.
Wasn't meaning to hurt your feelings by calling your fish skinny. Sorry about that.
Most any thing recently from the wild always looks a little beat up. Like a cheetah on the discovery channel lol. I was just wondering if they can be turned into adult fish in a reasonable amount of time.
The fish that I have pictured holding up in the bag is 1.5 years old.
If you kept an Altum for 1.5 years and it's not an adult then there's a problem.
I have some wild heckle discus that I have had for 2 years or more that arent full size yet.
I am imagine they are suffering from the same condition. Although they have grown, progress has been slow. Somebody told me this is normal for them. Not sure it's because of this species or because they're from the wild. Since there are not F1 available I guess we will never know.
They survive although they are not doing that well all the time.

Reactions: decoy50

shoreline

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Seattle
I would like for somebody to sell me a group of something like this.
Anybody have or know somebody?

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
When raising up a group how many do typically start with?
I usually buy like 20 of them. Grow them out and slowly sell them off when I get bored of them.

I been buying wild altums for the past like 10 years. I have failed many times and wasted thousands of dollars trying to keep them alive. Only having success with them the past 6 years.

From what I understand. Exporters are now handling altums more careful now. They actually handle them with care and quarantining them for awhile before shipping them out around the world. Even QT them to higher ph before shipping out. As before they were shipped as soon as they were caught. So most die before they even make it here. Or the ones that makes it eventually slowly die. They dont ship well. Think that's why people dont mess with them. But I believe now with the extra care. Altums are easier to keep

shoreline

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Seattle
I usually buy like 20 of them. Grow them out and slowly sell them off when I get bored of them.

I been buying wild altums for the past like 10 years. I have failed many times and wasted thousands of dollars trying to keep them alive. Only having success with them the past 6 years.

From what I understand. Exporters are now handling altums more careful now. They actually handle them with care and quarantining them for awhile before shipping them out around the world. Even QT them to higher ph before shipping out. As before they were shipped as soon as they were caught. So most die before they even make it here. Or the ones that makes it eventually slowly die. They dont ship well. Think that's why people dont mess with them. But I believe now with the extra care. Altums are easier to keep
Very nice I appreciate your response. I know some people very recently have experienced buying fish hat they could not keep alive. In the past this has probably been everybody. I hope to hear more success stories. The person of who I know who has the most awesome looking altum brought them back from a bad state.
He believes that there are no females in his group so he has attempted to purchase more. Even much better looking fish coming later have died.

I do appreciate your honesty.
It is amazing your perseverance in spite of the hard times in love of this fish. I am proud of your success raising wild fish to adulthood. For me I believe that I can breed them only because I take a lot of risk and I don't listen to what people say..
Of course failure is extremely familiar to me on this path. I have difficulty keeping wild scalare let alone altum.
My captive raised altum are the easiest fish I have ever kept.
I think it's because they are amazingly strong fish when they are healthy and keep them with lots of attention.
I don't think I'm good enough to buy small wild altum and raise them up.
My hat's off to you my friend.
My goal now is to keep improving the quality of what I do.
I hope in the future that my captive bred fish are Indistinguishable from wild except for that they grow way bigger and faster.

Reactions: decoy50

shoreline

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Seattle
And are as easy to take care of as any domestic angelfish of course !!!
That way we all can enjoy this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store