Altum Angelfish

shorelineaquatics

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2019
I don't know how many wild Altum you have bought, but the survival rate is dismal. FYI Altum have their strongest and most vivid colors right before they die. You see many wild altum pics and vids taken in show tanks right after they are imported. I notice the suppliers don't have follow up videos after they mature...Most likely because they don't.
I have sold a few CB Altum so far...most people are concerned because they've invested thousands in wild fish and they just want to be careful that these can survive. All the wilds didn't. Of course there are a few exceptions...Anyone can spin this wheel. Good luck! Thomas

Moba Boba

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2019
I don't know how many wild Altum you have bought, but the survival rate is dismal. FYI Altum have their strongest and most vivid colors right before they die. You see many wild altum pics and vids taken in show tanks right after they are imported. I notice the suppliers don't have follow up videos after they mature...Most likely because they don't.
I have sold a few CB Altum so far...most people are concerned because they've invested thousands in wild fish and they just want to be careful that these can survive. All the wilds didn't. Of course there are a few exceptions...Anyone can spin this wheel. Good luck! Thomas
The 25 I got from you are all eating pellets like pigs! Thank you Thomas!

shorelineaquatics

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2019
The 25 I got from you are all eating pellets like pigs! Thank you Thomas!
Hey Dave, Not many people have healthy Altum to know that they have great personalities. These are definately the coolest fish I've ever kept. I like the behavior when they become mature and fight in particular. They know how to speak to each other with signal, gestures and dance unlike any other fish I've kept.

If you want them to grow fast crank up the heat to 85. Feed heavily and change the water often. Sounds like discus???

I would say they take care like discus but there are a few differences that need to be noted.
Discus are more durable. Altum heads are sensitive:

If Altum bolt and swim into something it could kill them.

Here's how to avoid iimpacts.
Never change the water too low. This is why it is important to have a tall tank.
Always scrub the glass and rearrange your tank before you bring the water down.
When moving fish, never put them into a hard container like a bucket.
Altum love to have places to hide and feel more comfortable whent they can duck away then they need to.
Avoid rough rocks and decor with sharp edges in your tank,

Anyways, as you know I am always devoted to your (and others) success with these.
Thomas

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I have a group of eight I got from Wes. CB with full bars and are indeed true altums. They are super hardy. I’ve had them for about six months now and they are healthy and happy eating flakes and FD and frozen foods.

He may still have some. Hit hi up.

shoreline

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Seattle
I have a group of eight I got from Wes. CB with full bars and are indeed true altums. They are super hardy. I’ve had them for about six months now and they are healthy and happy eating flakes and FD and frozen foods.

He may still have some. Hit hi up.
This is great. I'm glad you were able to get captive bred. Can you please post some pictures of these?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
This is great. I'm glad you were able to get captive bred. Can you please post some pictures of these?
It’s a crappy pic. They’re still young and in a big tank.

2C5BD830-C39C-4227-9D27-941CA318684A.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store