Altum Angelfish

Dario10

Feeder Fish
Dec 26, 2018
No way, you know Jeremy Wade!
By the way, I ordered some Altums from Shoreline Aquatics weeks ago. Great healthy fish eating and acting more like regular scalare angels. Cant believe how easy the have been so far, can't wait for them to grow into monsters. Not everyday you see home bred Altum angels in the U.S. or ever!

Dario

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Wow amazing fish and captive breed too. I’ll hit you up to get some after I get my 180g running.

BigPoecilia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Georgia
These fish are about 3 weeks older than the ones in the last photo. It's easy to see the striping come in now and that the bars are going to be full. Their mother is in the picture hanging out with them

View attachment 1393442
Congratulations Thomas. I wish you continued success in your breeding efforts. If I had the room I would definitely get some CB's from you. Currently I have 11 wild caught Atabapo that I'm raising up. I get what you are saying concerning wilds but it's important for the exporter and the receiver to have an understanding of Altum husbandry when holding these fish for extended periods of time. I have been receiving wild caught Altums for a few years and have never had a batch come with burns, fin rot , etc. When I have lost fish it has been solely due to my ignorance. Unfortunately moving around the U.S. in the last few years have forced me to sell my fish from time to time which never allowed me the stability to raise my fish from dime or quarter size then to adulthood and have an opportunity for breeding.
Once again I take my hat off to you. It is an exciting achievement.

Lionel

Altum 3.png

shorelineaquatics

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2019
Congratulations Thomas. I wish you continued success in your breeding efforts. If I had the room I would definitely get some CB's from you. Currently I have 11 wild caught Atabapo that I'm raising up. I get what you are saying concerning wilds but it's important for the exporter and the receiver to have an understanding of Altum husbandry when holding these fish for extended periods of time. I have been receiving wild caught Altums for a few years and have never had a batch come with burns, fin rot , etc. When I have lost fish it has been solely due to my ignorance. Unfortunately moving around the U.S. in the last few years have forced me to sell my fish from time to time which never allowed me the stability to raise my fish from dime or quarter size then to adulthood and have an opportunity for breeding.
Once again I take my hat off to you. It is an exciting achievement.

Lionel

View attachment 1393886
Thank you Lionel I appreciate your support.

I am still skeptical of the wild altum trade. The fish you picture look awesome in coloration, but are extremely skinny and in need of serious nourishment. I would love to get my hands on some Wild Atabapo Altum. If could get healthy adults am sure I can produce F1 from them. I do not trust the importers enough to take the chance on young fish. I've spoken to a lot of people have invested thousands of dollars and have no Altum to show for it. Most of them are not inexperienced fish keepers. I know 1 person that has been able to grow out a wild Atabapo to full size and he does not live in this country. Here is a picture of his fish. He has since bought more wild fish, but all have perished.

Does anyone here on MFK have a picture of an adult wild Altum that they grew from dime or quarter size? By Adult , I mean 10-12 inch vertical height. I'd love to be proven wrong. I know there are a few who have had great success. Time to show off everyone!!! Thanks again, Thomas

atabapo altum 600.JPG

shorelineaquatics

Feeder Fish
Oct 15, 2019
No way, you know Jeremy Wade!
By the way, I ordered some Altums from Shoreline Aquatics weeks ago. Great healthy fish eating and acting more like regular scalare angels. Cant believe how easy the have been so far, can't wait for them to grow into monsters. Not everyday you see home bred Altum angels in the U.S. or ever!

Dario
Hi Dario, That's right , no special care requirements. Just feed and change the water. Has to be seen to be believed. Going to make more believers soon. As if anyone hasn't guessed already, I am opposed to the wild altum trade. I think it is a slaughter. I would be surprised if 1 in 1000 fish inported survive 1 year.

shoreline

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Seattle
Sorry folks I just realized I somehow have 2 different profiles across 2 devices. I'll try to pull myself together now and just stay shoreline. shorelineaquatics was also me Thomas. Thanks!

BigPoecilia

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2010
Georgia
Thank you Lionel I appreciate your support.

I am still skeptical of the wild altum trade. The fish you picture look awesome in coloration, but are extremely skinny and in need of serious nourishment. I would love to get my hands on some Wild Atabapo Altum. If could get healthy adults am sure I can produce F1 from them. I do not trust the importers enough to take the chance on young fish. I've spoken to a lot of people have invested thousands of dollars and have no Altum to show for it. Most of them are not inexperienced fish keepers. I know 1 person that has been able to grow out a wild Atabapo to full size and he does not live in this country. Here is a picture of his fish. He has since bought more wild fish, but all have perished.

Does anyone here on MFK have a picture of an adult wild Altum that they grew from dime or quarter size? By Adult , I mean 10-12 inch vertical height. I'd love to be proven wrong. I know there are a few who have had great success. Time to show off everyone!!! Thanks again, Thomas

View attachment 1393909
So you think my fish are skinny? LOL, opinions are abundant. Not making excuses but they were younger on that picture from a couple months ago and I try not to over feed. But hey I'm willing to listen to any advice my friend. I've never had CB fish only wilds. The longest I kept them were a year and a half. I had to sell them because i was relocating. I use to live in Maryland. Now I'm in Georgia, hopefully this is the last move and I can look forward to your type of success. Anyhow you mention getting your hands on some wild Atabapo. I know someone who brings in really nice fish. I purchased from him twice this year. It would be interesting to see if you could get some to spawn. It definitely would be good for the hobby.

Lionel

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
S shorelineaquatics what's the ph you are keeping these at?

Reactions: shoreline
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store