Overhead filter advise needed

simtommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2019
Thanks all for your advise. I’ve went ahead to fill 5 nos of 12inch x 12inch chambers with mainly lava rocks. 1 chamber for mechanical filtration. Also went with Fluval SP6 12000l/hr powerhead for the pump. We will see how that goes.

I’m currently into 3rd week of cycling and my water param reading reads 0 ammonia, 1ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. I’m suppose to let nature take its course and not do any WC right? Am I on the right track?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks all for your advise. I’ve went ahead to fill 5 nos of 12inch x 12inch chambers with mainly lava rocks. 1 chamber for mechanical filtration. Also went with Fluval SP6 12000l/hr powerhead for the pump. We will see how that goes.

I’m currently into 3rd week of cycling and my water param reading reads 0 ammonia, 1ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate. I’m suppose to let nature take its course and not do any WC right? Am I on the right track?
Yes s your almost there once Nitrite is negative.

Reactions: dr exum and jcarson

simtommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2019
It has been a week of daily testing and the readings is still the same throughout! I have not done anything to the tank at all. Has my cycling stalled? Should I perform any WC?

Advise pls!

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It has been a week of daily testing and the readings is still the same throughout! I have not done anything to the tank at all. Has my cycling stalled? Should I perform any WC?

Advise pls!
You will not be fully cycled until you have 0ppm ammonia and nitrite. When these two readings hit 0ppm you should have a positive test on nitrate. Usually then it's a case of water change and add fish, slowly. Overdo it on the initial stocking and in no time at all you'll be seeing ammonia again.

My current stock are all big now but four years ago when I introduced them to my original 180g when they were tiny I added them over a four week period if I remember rightly. No problems at all.

simtommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2019
Is there any reason why is it that my water param has been reading 0 ammonia, 1ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate consistently for the past week? Does it indicate a stall in the cycling?
Any recommendations on what to do next?

Reactions: jcarson

jcarson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2018
Las Vegas Nevada
www.instagram.com
Is there any reason why is it that my water param has been reading 0 ammonia, 1ppm nitrite, 10ppm nitrate consistently for the past week? Does it indicate a stall in the cycling?
Any recommendations on what to do next?
I would not call this a stall, its just a matter of being a little more patient, you almost there!
I remember asking these same questions, lol.

simtommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2019
Patience.. I will continue to do daily testing to monitor the situation.
Water level has dropped an inch, can I top up with water? Will it mess with the cycling process?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store