Current setup

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Do you have two male flowerhorns? Nice setup. I hate doing water changes on one 20 and one 40 I have. I don't know how you and so many hobbyist do it.
I have 3 males. A King Kamfa, Bonsai Fader ZZ and my ZZ. Lots of females. I ordered a few more imports so I had to make space for them. Probably gonna build a 60 gallon rack system for the living room.

Water changes are my peace. I love to see my fish thrive. So I do 5% a day, 25% once a week, 50% once a month on all tanks.

I realize cleaning these racks are gonna be a pain so I left them substrate free and will utilize a water polisher on each tank.

Edit:

I'm thinking of buying a large plastic water holding unit and start aging my water. I'm sure I could rig up something fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruturaj

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I have 3 males. A King Kamfa, Bonsai Fader ZZ and my ZZ. Lots of females. I ordered a few more imports so I had to make space for them. Probably gonna build a 60 gallon rack system for the living room.

Water changes are my peace. I love to see my fish thrive. So I do 5% a day, 25% once a week, 50% once a month on all tanks.

I realize cleaning these racks are gonna be a pain so I left them substrate free and will utilize a water polisher on each tank.

Edit:

I'm thinking of buying a large plastic water holding unit and start aging my water. I'm sure I could rig up something fun.
I think I have seen only one, the kamfa. Those are lots of water changes. Getting a container is a good idea, then you can better manage you params.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
I think I have seen only one, the kamfa. Those are lots of water changes. Getting a container is a good idea, then you can better manage you params.
There's tons of snow outside. I wonder if I can scoop that into a plastic barrel and let it melt.

Would that water be good for fish? I would assume so but curious to see what others think about it.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
There's tons of snow outside. I wonder if I can scoop that into a plastic barrel and let it melt.

Would that water be good for fish? I would assume so but curious to see what others think about it.
Air pollutants might have mixed a little. Not a energy efficient way for sure. Your internal heater will have to take a load.

Reactions: Fishenvy

Man-made Monsters

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2016
DO NOT USE SNOW as a water source for your tank. Snow picks up so many pollutants as it travels to the ground. Also water weight is more like 8.3 ponds per gallon, not 7. I just don't want to see you do a miscalculation that leads to disaster. As for the "aged water" topic. Most will agree that it is the best way of giving your fish perfectly adjusted water. There are only two major problems I have seen in this procedure. First is the time dedicated to moving all that water around multiple times. I have no time for that in my busy life with work and kids. The second issue I have seen is if the water becomes contaminated. It can happen from kids, or other pets like cats or dogs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store