Vieja synspilum/melanura

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
I’m starting this thread as kind of a growth/progress thread.

Il going to address this now so I won’t have to later, I know the correct name is melanura but in this thread I’m most likely going to call them syns as it’s the name I prefer.

for starters on this tank the stocking is already messed up. Current stock is a molly, sword, ropefish, SAEs, flying foxes, 2 HRPS (full grown at 3 inches), 1 Jack Dempsey (full grown female 6-7 inches), syns (half grown 6-7 inches).

when my Main fish passed away i quickly picked up the first syns I seen available, which might now be a mistake. At the time I couldn’t afford more than one but knew I wanted a pair eventually and an unre. So I picked one Up that was not local to me and started my search for them locally with no luck.

I started calling all lfs and local fish suppliers, no one could get them and said they would call me when they were available. No phone calls for a couple of months. Fast forward to three weeks ago when someone calls me and says they are on their order list. I told them I wanted 3 of the largest and didn’t care about the extra charges for bigger fish (funny how a couple of months passing changes how much you can afford).

today I picked up my 3 syns....the biggest ones available....drum roll please.....they were approximately 1 inch each...cute little fellas actually, and pretty cheap...wonder why haha

now here’s where my previously haste mistake might be a problem....big fish like to eat little fish, so I’m going to play it by ear for now.

I wanted two unrelated fish to pair up, I just didn’t know they would be difficult to find. So my chances are slim. When they all grow up I’ll either have a pair or I’ll scrap the idea of a pair and keep just one single syns.

They have only been in my tank for an hour, they have nice red and blue colours for such tiny fish. One got beaten up in the dealers tank.
BC28901F-148E-4294-A93A-6D48DD854D53.jpeg

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So far so good, the 1 inchers are doing great. No one is bothering them or chasing them.

my male sword tail is enamoured with them and keeps trying to mate with them.

here is a short Video of my tank immediately after a water change, so excuse the micro bubbles. No need for sound as it’s just water and filters.

you can see he size difference in my syns lol

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Beautiful tank! I've been thinking of transitioning my 165 planted tank from a community tank to cichlids too.
Be aware that some cichlids do eat plants and they might destroy your planted tank.

my sysns are known plant eaters so I’m expecting them to eventually eat some of the plants.

there is two “bald” spots in the bushy background plants that I am not aloud to plant plants in those areas bc the sysns pulls them up. Even if new plants grow in the spots he pulls them out, doesn’t eat them though.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
The syns fry are pretty smart little fellas. They follow the larger syns and JD durning feeding and eat the smaller particles that get thrown out of their gills. It’s a feeding frenzy. I have been noticing that none of the fish like the nls pellets (except the molly) the syns fry will take the nls pellets in and spit them out only to go hunting for a more tasty morsel of food.

I also never use my blue night time lights in my tank but decided to watch my tank with the new fry a bit after lights out. All was good, though I think my larger syns may be a male and might be trying to court my female jd. “He” chases her all around the tank after lights out, today they almost lip locked. No aggression just chasing.

Also the gold jd looks great under blue lights
ECF209A6-89F6-4CC0-9C60-5B63464166E6.jpeg

jeaninel

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2014
california
Thanks me too, I do have 4 but will only be keeping 2 of them if they pair up. If no pair, then the best looking one
Sounds like a good plan. I know when I started with 3 young ones I ended up with 1 male and 2 females but the one weaker female got picked on constantly so ended up with just the 2.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
Sounds like a good plan. I know when I started with 3 young ones I ended up with 1 male and 2 females but the one weaker female got picked on constantly so ended up with just the 2.
Is that one of yours in your profile pic? How big are yours?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store