Jaguar cats at last

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Tankamates shouldnt be aggressive. Mine are with polypterus and doing fine. They will always hide during the day. Groups can work but difficult to duplicate consistently.

JoshuaLow

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2019
If you have a heater in the tank, they will try to hide in between the heater and tank, leading to heater burns. I would put some sort of inline heater from the filter or a plastic case around the heater that is in line with the water flow.
Oh gosh.... Thanks for sharing

They do prefer to hide I only saw mine at night
Is your setup with plenty of decor or kinda bare?

Tankamates shouldnt be aggressive. Mine are with polypterus and doing fine. They will always hide during the day. Groups can work but difficult to duplicate consistently.
What is the group size that have worked so far in your experience or have seen, I think I will give it a try just to experiment

Just a few more pics from theirScreenshot_20200307_004411_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpgScreenshot_20200307_004618_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpgScreenshot_20200307_004351_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg transit

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Nice! Always loved jags and always wanted to get a dozen or two to grow out together. Haven't had much luck with keeping mine long term, tried two times with a pair each... but this is personal, not for general reasons as generally they are ok and hardy. Lost the first pair on a 1500 mile move. The second pair quickly contracted some bug in my tanks.

The tank mates should not prey on them or be aggressive as in fighting for the same hidey hole or for feed, or be territorial. Smaller tank mates shouldn't fit in their mouth.

If you wanna see them all the time, lean a flat rock against front glass or place a large rock next to the glass and make it the only cover available:

jags 1.jpgjags 2.jpgjags 3.jpgJaguar cats new pair 1.JPGJaguar cats new pair 2.JPGJaguar cats new pair 3.JPGJaguar cats new pair 4.JPGJaguar cats new pair 5.JPGJaguar cats new pair 6.JPGJaguar cats new pair 7.JPG

Nilsafeller

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2018
High river Alberta Canada
Have had mine for about 4 months now... day and night stays in his pipe and grunts at the raphael when he try's to enter . I feed 2 massivore pellets to him... right to his front door every second day and that's the only time I see him.. hes about full grown I'd say 7 or 8 inches in length and a fatty... hes with a tire track eel ,flatnkse cat. Raphael and mollies

Last edited by a moderator:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Nice pickup. +1 to Rocksor Rocksor advice on the heater. These fish seem to jam themselves exactly where you dont want them to be. Make sure your filter intake or drain is guarded with a sturdy strainer...thats how i lost my jag.

Otherwise they are really cool. I wake up before the sun for work, and would always get to see mine patrolling whilst i was making coffee.

JoshuaLow

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2019
Nice! Always loved jags and always wanted to get a dozen or two to grow out together. Haven't had much luck with keeping mine long term, tried two times with a pair each... but this is personal, not for general reasons as generally they are ok and hardy. Lost the first pair on a 1500 mile move. The second pair quickly contracted some bug in my tanks.

The tank mates should not prey on them or be aggressive as in fighting for the same hidey hole or for feed, or be territorial. Smaller tank mates shouldn't fit in their mouth.

If you wanna see them all the time, lean a flat rock against front glass or place a large rock next to the glass and make it the only cover available:

View attachment 1408012View attachment 1408013View attachment 1408014View attachment 1408015View attachment 1408016View attachment 1408017View attachment 1408018View attachment 1408019View attachment 1408020View attachment 1408021
Wow thanks for sharing!! That's a great idea, I will give it a try

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store