Male and Femal flower horn

Arjun Holla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hello guys, does a male and femal flower horn live together in a same tank all the time irrespective of only during breeding time. I had female which I raised since it was a fry and she is 3 months old now and i have brought srd male (same size) . Currently keeping them separated by a glass. Can I introduce them both after a week?? Does it get along?. Please help me with your suggestions.IMG_20200309_092847.jpgIMG_20200307_181532.jpg

Reactions: Fishenvy

Vertigon_z

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2019
New Jersey
I have seen tanks with Male and Female flowerhorns living together. Each fish is different. It is good that you have a glass in place to separate and monitor them. Does the Male get rambunctious when he spots the female or is it calm? I would mostly worry about the male cause sometimes not even a female can be around them. Maybe oneday remove the glass and see how they interact with each other. If all goes well keep an eye out for any attacks so you can put the glass back in. Each situation is different especially with Male flowerhorns. Since they are small you are at an advantage to get an early start with them getting used to each other. What is the tank size by the way, as this can affect your chances. Also you can add something for the female to hide in when she feels threatened. Hope this helps.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Honestly it's usually easier to breed them if the male is larger then the female as this allows the female a place to escape from the male if provided one where the male cannot fit such as a cave or a vase like I used. It also helps if you have a couple of rocks or fake plants to help break the line of sight between the male and female as this will also give the female a place to chill out by herself. And lastly adding a flat Rock or a plate to lay eggs on is usually recommended.

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
Hello guys, does a male and femal flower horn live together in a same tank all the time irrespective of only during breeding time. I had female which I raised since it was a fry and she is 3 months old now and i have brought srd male (same size) . Currently keeping them separated by a glass. Can I introduce them both after a week?? Does it get along?. Please help me with your suggestions.View attachment 1408512View attachment 1408513
He looks to have some monkey in him. Super cute

Arjun Holla

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2020
Hi Fishenvy,

Yeah, even I'm thinking that he is not a female. he looks like Kamfa(malau may be) to me. I brought him on Jan 12th (picture 1 below) and he is now like this(picture 2). Anyhow I already built separate 4 feet aquarium for my new srd. Keeping them separate now.IMG_20200112_083602.jpgIMG_20200312_143317.jpg

Reactions: Fishenvy

Fishenvy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2020
Elmwood, Wi
I have a female living with all my males. Well the fertile ones anyway.

In my fish room, I drop the female in the tank along with another dither fish, usually something smaller and faster. Also I keep lots of plants and hiding places to allow them to run and stay out of the males sight line.

Usually after about a week when I see they have paired off, i will remove the dither fish and place her back into community.

This works for me as i have multiple females that I rotate between males and so far haven't lost a single fish. Nor have I had to "save" any fish.

This may not work for everyone but let me show an example of how I do it. I just set this tank up last night.

15842110747843770134182360280684.jpg

15842111547913579629643150473979.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store