Oddball 10gal

PolypterusGuy225

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2019
Michigan, USA
In search of inspiration:

I have a 10 gallon tank that I will be setting up when I move back into an apartment sometime in August. Sadly 10gal is the largest they’ll allow and I’m used to keeping my 125gal polypterus tank so I am struggling with ideas, I know it’s months away but I have nothing better to do in quarantine.

I’d love some cool oddballs that aren’t terribly hard to find. The current equipment it’ll have are an Aqua Clear 20 and a small sponge filter. I’ve kept pea puffers in the past so I’d like to try something new. I am struggling massively any interesting ideas will help me figure this out!!!

Thank you all!!

Reactions: tlindsey and Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
A reedfish would keep you in the realm of polys. I kept a single one in a 10 gallon for quite a while.
Hill stream loaches, killifish?
Celestial pearl danios aren’t necessarily “oddball” but I’d love to add some to my ten gallon eventually.

Reactions: PolypterusGuy225

PolypterusGuy225

Exodon
MFK Member
May 17, 2019
Michigan, USA
A reedfish would keep you in the realm of polys. I kept a single one in a 10 gallon for quite a while.
Hill stream loaches, killifish?
Celestial pearl danios aren’t necessarily “oddball” but I’d love to add some to my ten gallon eventually.
I’ve been looking into Killifish actually! Still unsure however. I forgot about the Hillstream Loach tho! That’s definitely a good one. Thank you!

Reactions: tlindsey and Rob909

Dovii kid

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2006
Connecticut
Any chance you could go a little larger? Would anyone know the difference between that and a 20? You could go salt and pick up a mantis shrimp. That would be something different and the change to salt would keep you engaged. Going from a larger tank wondering if you wouldn’t get bored with it.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Any chance you could go a little larger? Would anyone know the difference between that and a 20? You could go salt and pick up a mantis shrimp. That would be something different and the change to salt would keep you engaged. Going from a larger tank wondering if you wouldn’t get bored with it.
That's the only size aquarium he's allowed to have in the apartment.

Reactions: PolypterusGuy225

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
an RTC would be a great fit? They only max out at like 5 feet (roughly) should be fine for atleast 10 years?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store