265 Mixed African Tank

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The tank itself comes out to 180 gallons when you do the math of 48"L x 24"W x 36"H.

Nice looking tank setup though too many fish for my taste. Not criticizing you as everyone has a different take on what they like and you seem to be doing a great job on keeping the fish healthy.

Cjaco4

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2020
The tank itself comes out to 180 gallons when you do the math of 48"L x 24"W x 36"H.

Nice looking tank setup though too many fish for my taste. Not criticizing you as everyone has a different take on what they like and you seem to be doing a great job on keeping the fish healthy.
Sorry never measured it before.
48Lx36Hx30 D so 269 gallons total not including water in theFX6 filters.

curious why wouldn’t you want as many fish as possible? Most of my fish are $50-$60 retail now so as they breed I’ve sold some back to my local lfs.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Cjaco4

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2020
its a nice tank i love the variety of frontosas and peacocks
Thanks. I have 12 frontosa total. Added them as babies about 3 years ago so right at breeding age now. They’ll likely double in size over next couple years.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I’ve got dual FX6 filters with UV sterilization in line. Tank is drilled with easy knob for water changes directly into drain plus 1/2 inch copper return from tap water mounted over the tank.
Nice!

Easy water changes are done water changes, smart call

I have a similar setup for water changes and love it. I am on a well so I don't have to treat the incoming water

Reactions: twentyleagues

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Sorry never measured it before.
48Lx36Hx30 D so 269 gallons total not including water in theFX6 filters.

curious why wouldn’t you want as many fish as possible? Most of my fish are $50-$60 retail now so as they breed I’ve sold some back to my local lfs.

New dimensions are 48x30x36 divided by 231=224.41 gallons not including the 2 FX filters, sorry to be a stickler. ?

I have only paid retail one or two times in my life when I first set up a 75G tank with Malawi cichlids. Now I get most of my fish from local fish clubs and auctions as juveniles and grow them up and watch them breed and sell off the juvies at the same places.

I just don't care for the look of lots of fish in a tank as I like to see their natural behavior of interacting and breeding. My solution for lots of fish is lots of tanks. :grinyes:

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
My African tank is roughly half the size of the OP's tank, stocked with 27 Cichlids & 5 Botia Loaches. It looks pretty full.
I'd need to stock an additional 50? Cichlids to match the OP's stocking density.
I don't have the skills to pull that one off. Lol.
The OP does have a nice setup and quite an array of healthy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store