What The Heck is This Hybrid?

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Saw these online. The thing that blew me away was the second dorsal fin that doesnt match any of the other fins. What do you speculate theyre mixed with aside from an RTC

weird red tail 2.jpg

weird red tail.jpg

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Very tempting.... I’m very.... very.... hesitant in acquiring anything with a potential to grow over 2’

Looks super hott tho!

Read something the marbles only get 2’ ...

I suppose one could roll the dice!

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
Very tempting.... I’m very.... very.... hesitant in acquiring anything with a potential to grow over 2’

Looks super hott tho!

Read something the marbles only get 2’ ...

I suppose one could roll the dice!
Well damn no better answer than that and I know same here. I currently have a Marble achara and hes super well mannered. But on the other end I literally just rehomed my RTC because he was getting mouthy and made a lot of waste. They just look so cool! But theres the toss up of are they going to stay achara or rtc sized in the long run haha. What I have read before from I think thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter is that Achara Catfish hybrids do not keep the appeal long term and as they get big they swim wonky and just kind of lay there. Almost like their genes just naturally dont handle it well. So I'll probably pass for these guys, hopefully someone does get one though and keeps the forum updated on its growth

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
If one could get the personality of an RTC and the marbled / Jag look... in a 24” package... ?

The traits you mention sound no good, I’m not in the market for cats at the moment.

There are lots of impressive ones out there!

I was curious about this guy though...

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
These look way too much like Red tail cat crossed with Jau for my liking. That marbled colour is exactly the colour of baby Zungaro imposed over a rtc and that would again be a cross of two real giant sized fish.
I am not a fan of hybrids but that looks one beautiful fish but if it is a rtc x zungaro you can expect a huge fish with a huge attitude problem so someone would have to be sure on its genes first.

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
These look way too much like Red tail cat crossed with Jau for my liking. That marbled colour is exactly the colour of baby Zungaro imposed over a rtc and that would again be a cross of two real giant sized fish.
I am not a fan of hybrids but that looks one beautiful fish but if it is a rtc x zungaro you can expect a huge fish with a huge attitude problem so someone would have to be sure on its genes first.
Are the two genetically compatible?? That would be the kind of fish I set up an above ground pool for

Reactions: dr exum

GiantFishKeeper101

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2017
Or they won't surpass 1' mark. Not all hybrids are a success

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store