Pond project

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Very nice pickup of Koi and Fancy Goldfish. What is the yellow colored Koi labeled name never seen Koi that color.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Very nice pickup of Koi and Fancy Goldfish. What is the yellow colored Koi labeled name never seen Koi that color.

I believe all my yellow koi are considered yamabuki ogons. The new yellow butterfly I think is also considered a yamabuki ogon. The quality is different between them. The one in the blue tub has the best chance at staying yellow without going orange. Making that one a better quality color wise. My new standard fin ogons will likely go orange as they age. I picked them purposely for that reason. The yamabuki I lost was yellow like them when it was small so I hope at least one of these will turn out like her.

Yellow and golden koi are some of my favorites ?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
It’s been a bitter sweet week so far.
I finished the patio, we got the gazebo up, and table and chairs setup. Our swing we ordered was missing the stand. It was in a second box that apparently never shipped due to an error. Now that will have to wait.

Then yesterday morning I go to check fish and turn on lights. Immediately I see one of my new koi dead? And a second one barely hanging on. I pull them both out and grab my microscope and water test kit.
As I’m still testing the first fish a third starts to freak out. It smacks into the glass a couple times then seems weak and starts floating sideways.
Im panicing and heartbroken at this point.
All scrapes look fine. No movement on slides from any of the three fish. I even tested the third one before it died to be sure I’m not missing som that leaves them immediately after death. Nothing.

Water results show Ammonia 1, nitrite wasn’t 0 But wasn't the full color of .25 either. PH was 8.2 I never got around to doing any other tests before filling it back up.
Outwardly they looked perfect. I checked mouths and gills and those looked normal too. I didn’t see evidence of ammonia burns, but the water was obviously a problem.

While doing the last scrap and scope a fourth koi was starting to act the same way. I netted it out, placed it in a bucket, and ran it outside. After slowly diluting the tank water with pond water it calmed down and perked up.
My husband kept insisting we put all the koi outside. I really didn’t want to since it hasn’t been long that we’ve had them and I don’t want to loose all the koi if there is a problem I can’t find or am missing.
Ultimately after seeing how well the one outside was doing I was too scared to leave the rest in the house. I tested the pond and ammonia was 0, nitrite 0, and nitrates hardly detectable.
Ive taken a huge gamble and let them go in the pond. I’m really hoping I didn’t make a giant mistake.
So far they have been doing great outside and the older koi haven’t given them too much trouble. Just followed them around for a couple hours to check them out.

Now for the fun part. A few pictures.
FF62F462-B6EB-4C55-B579-602A04A1AA1F.jpeg
3A884D2F-01B5-403A-901B-36C5CC6024DA.jpeg3DC5E19D-94AF-41D6-BAA0-1B057D0C1071.jpegB9E17941-24FB-40E9-AD5D-B759E8CEF84F.jpeg

Walkways will be next. And we haven’t decided what/if we will put some type of edging around the patio. I’ll just have to sit around and observe it for a while till I decide ?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Really nice,how many gallons is it about?

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yesterday was a brutal day.
Water changes in the am. Then I had to leave for a few hours to get parts. Stupid detour made a 2hr round trip take over 3hrs?
Get home and start work on the block again. I finished the walkway and blocking under the swings. I’m finally down to only 3 blocks left. I can’t work anymore if there’s no blocks to lay, right? ? (I’m so sick of moving around 40lb blocks?)
My hands and forearms were so weak and burning at one point I had to stop. Pop some ibuprofen, max freeze, compression gloves, a little pain reliving juice? and I jump on the lawn mower till the pain goes away long enough for me to get back to work. After the block was done I only had time to mow 2/3rds of the yard before it was getting dark. If it wasn’t for the rain I wouldn’t have had to push so hard to get this done.

But enough rambling. Here are the pictures from yesterday.
E118C2C0-CCE2-4470-8A19-AE747CD9A4F5.jpeg63B621C0-1BE8-41DB-A4AB-785BA0017E86.jpeg

Oh, little side story.
I’m sitting along the rhubarb pulling weeds and clearing dirt for the block when I hear something shifting around in them. Much too big to be a frog or toad. I got a little excited thinking maybe a baby bunny was hiding out....but no. Out jumped one of our farm cats scaring me half to death! Lol
He had been playing with a rodent he caught.
Here is the mighty hunter with his second catch of the day. 71E724AF-7913-4AAC-B3C4-0F4234584229.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store