M Lutea - Stress vs Internal Parasite

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Sorry about the little guy :( I really hate to tell you, but you could end up losing the skinny ones. They are not growing properly. But there's still hope. The main thing is to deworm (or anti-Hex) the others so they don't suffer the same damage to organs and it stops. I can't even tell you if they do have worms, it just looks very reminiscent of my infestation. Since they've never been dewormed before, I feel it's good preventative measure at least fir the others. Hoping for the little guys though.
the small ones did not grow in length until i spilt the group of 24 into two 75’s

then the small ones grew long only... ive had them 6 months now.

i think there are 3, you think they are suffering? should i clove oil the little ones?

they eat n spit, tried 6 kinds of foods, micro pellets , blood worms...

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
the small ones did not grow in length until i spilt the group of 24 into two 75’s

then the small ones grew long only... ive had them 6 months now.

i think there are 3, you think they are suffering? should i clove oil the little ones?

they eat n spit, tried 6 kinds of foods, micro pellets , blood worms...
No I wouldn't clove them bc it might not be worms. As you know fish grow at different rates and I didn't know you only had them 6mo. I've had young fish catch up. But they really look thin :( Also though, it could be just a subpar specinem and something is wrong genetically.

I just personally don't clove fish until they are obviously suffering. Otherwise there is always hope right?

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
No I wouldn't clove them bc it might not be worms. As you know fish grow at different rates and I didn't know you only had them 6mo. I've had young fish catch up. But they really look thin :( Also though, it could be just a subpar specinem and something is wrong genetically.

I just personally don't clove fish until they are obviously suffering. Otherwise there is always hope right?
i got them from Dave’s Rare fish, thought was a good vendor, he did my m/f ratio super wrong...

• Sad
Reactions: angelcrze

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
i got them from Dave’s Rare fish, thought was a good vendor, he did my m/f ratio super wrong...
Do you know if he treats the fish? They were tank bred?

I scrutinized about where the worm came from in my case, I deduced they came in with adult angels I got off a 'friend'. They looked healthy as could be. Until 2 years later when I first realized there was a problem. I was very very careful (I thought) with my showtank, but I found out later my 'friend' often brought wild caught fish into his tank and no QT. I lost all 4 angels along with 2 others and an EB ram to the worm by the time I caught it. This was 3 years ago. Today I have 8 healthy angels in the tank. So I know all the treatment efforts weren't in vain.

Just telling you my story hopefully for encouragement. Those little %*$#&'s sneak in.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Do you know if he treats the fish? They were tank bred?

I scrutinized about where the worm came from in my case, I deduced they came in with adult angels I got off a 'friend'. They looked healthy as could be. Until 2 years later when I first realized there was a problem. I was very very careful (I thought) with my showtank, but I found out later my 'friend' often brought wild caught fish into his tank and no QT. I lost all 4 angels along with 2 others and an EB ram to the worm by the time I caught it. This was 3 years ago. Today I have 8 healthy angels in the tank. So I know all the treatment efforts weren't in vain.

Just telling you my story hopefully for encouragement. Those little %*$#&'s sneak in.
1/2 were wild caught - the redfin - the lutea are the afflicted ones.
those appear to be fine - i could ask if he treated them.

started day one of general cure in there. think the de worming coming tomorrow...

ive been trying to get an accurate count in there... 2 are pretty bad... given the space in another tank, would it help the rest? or they are all infected at this point....

another tid bit... these guys are living in my old qt tank ?

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
Did you disinfect the old QT tank before adding new fish? Ever see this before?

GC is Metro again and Prazi. So after this, I wouldn't treat with Metro anymore. That's the trouble with these cure-all meds, fish get treated with things they don't need. But at least you'll have treated with Prazi now too.

Then all that will be left to treat is nematodes. I would give the tank at least a week of no meds in between and water changes.

I don't think moving fish is a good idea, unless you're ok with treating both tanks and the other tank is barren (no other fish to infect). But personally I consolidated all my angels that I was worried about to treat in one big tank. I could concentrate more on water changes (one tank) and keeping the bottom clean.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Did you disinfect the old QT tank before adding new fish? Ever see this before?

GC is Metro again and Prazi. So after this, I wouldn't treat with Metro anymore. That's the trouble with these cure-all meds, fish get treated with things they don't need. But at least you'll have treated with Prazi now too.

Then all that will be left to treat is nematodes. I would give the tank at least a week of no meds in between and water changes.

I don't think moving fish is a good idea, unless you're ok with treating both tanks and the other tank is barren (no other fish to infect). But personally I consolidated all my angels that I was worried about to treat in one big tank. I could concentrate more on water changes (one tank) and keeping the bottom clean.
super helpful, i did not disinfect it. ive primarily been on the look out for external things in QT for previous fish... never dealt with this before.

ill finish the Api general cure, wait a week, then treat for nematodes...

dang, its all about saving the fish but, $100 in meds to save $30 in fish...

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
is this the dose you used?

2mg/liter?

C32841C5-E6D4-4269-8046-BCF489225ADD.png

Reactions: angelcrze

angelcrze

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Gatineau
super helpful, i did not disinfect it. ive primarily been on the look out for external things in QT for previous fish... never dealt with this before.

ill finish the Api general cure, wait a week, then treat for nematodes...

dang, its all about saving the fish but, $100 in meds to save $30 in fish...
Drat that sucks. I'm in the same boat. I can't get meds where I'm at and very pricey to ship in. But at least with the dewormer you will have some left over to treat new fish prophylactically in QT going forward. I think I'm gonna have to source some metro myself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store