Hey Oddball, “rubber eel” question

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I know your the sharp one around with the oddballs, so I remember way back about 30 years ago buying what were sold as “rubber eels” lol.........which I believe were Typhlonectes natans...........

and I’ve seen the Dermorphis mexicanus now and see how they are burrowing in mud, leaf litter, puddles and such....

I think back to the T natans and remember them constantly escaping, to me, now that I think about it, clearly wanting out of the water sometimes......

So I see ppl keep them in full aquariums still, would they not do better in a terrarium where they could get on land as well?

We’re the maybe selling the D mexicanus under the wrong name back then? And that’s why they kept trying to escape?

Anyways, I guess after all these years I just wonder if the “rubber eel” lol, should have access to land.........

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
You have to Oddball Oddball in order for them to get a notification such as I just did.
Ahh, cacelian eels, such a nice species, very rare to find now I hear, I haven’t seen one for sale ever. It’s nice to know someone is thinking about them if but only temporarily.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
You have to Oddball Oddball in order for them to get a notification such as I just did.
Ahh, cacelian eels, such a nice species, very rare to find now I hear, I haven’t seen one for sale ever. It’s nice to know someone is thinking about them if but only temporarily.
Thanks, I just remember him from many years ago and he used to scan this stuff daily but yeah that helps.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
I will have to learn the new tricks lol.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Sadly oddball is not as active as he once was, I see him post about once every few weeks.
Maybe link to this thread in a comment on his profile.

Reactions: tlindsey

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
Sadly oddball is not as active as he once was, I see him post about once every few weeks.
Maybe link to this thread in a comment on his profile.
Well honestly it’s directed to anyone who may see what I’m getting at, but I just remembered him knowing a lot. Yeah they are very cool creatures, they certainly disappeared from the trade.

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
As for the "rubber worms or eels" I have kept them and yes they do better if they can come out of the water. They are amphibians. Something like a paludarium is the best set up for them. As for the differences in species I don't know much. The ones I had were like fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 said labeled as cacelian or "rubber worms/eel. That was back in the '80s. Luckily I had a family member with alot of knowledge and imported fish for the aquarium hobby. He set me right alot of times even though he may not have had all the answers, his best guess was usually spot on. I had gotten two the pet store told me they were fish. Uncle Marshall set me straight and helped me set up a paludarium of sorts 75g tank. The 50g I had them in had them crawling into the hob. Once in the 75 1/2 water 1/2 land they stopped trying to get out.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I remember those well twentyleagues twentyleagues and they were sold frequently in a pet department I worked for as a teenager. I remember the Cacelian aka Rubber Worms would be found on the floor unfortunately dead behind the cabinet aquarium display. I often wondered why they always wanted to leave the water. Thanks for sharing the info.
Is it possible that these wonderful amphibians may be on the endangered list?

Reactions: twentyleagues

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
As for the "rubber worms or eels" I have kept them and yes they do better if they can come out of the water. They are amphibians. Something like a paludarium is the best set up for them. As for the differences in species I don't know much. The ones I had were like fishhead0103666 fishhead0103666 said labeled as cacelian or "rubber worms/eel. That was back in the '80s. Luckily I had a family member with alot of knowledge and imported fish for the aquarium hobby. He set me right alot of times even though he may not have had all the answers, his best guess was usually spot on. I had gotten two the pet store told me they were fish. Uncle Marshall set me straight and helped me set up a paludarium of sorts 75g tank. The 50g I had them in had them crawling into the hob. Once in the 75 1/2 water 1/2 land they stopped trying to get out.
I just find it extremely sad that ppl may still be keeping them in a way they can’t come onto land, I see videos and images of them still being kept in aquariums

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store