Went to buy some shrubs....

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
An update on the hatchlings.
I have 7 keets ranging from just over a week old to a day old.
33BFD750-48D8-4BC7-B006-77CDC4883CA8.jpeg
I think the size difference is pretty shocking. They grow so much in one week!
Today I had 3 more hatch. They will stay in the incubator till tomorrow.
4A7FB988-9840-43EC-BCA3-33D5F0AF6CFD.pngD1BCC3B5-4455-4D8B-8967-09449BDA83DC.jpeg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
An update on the hatchlings.
I have 7 keets ranging from just over a week old to a day old.
View attachment 1421691
I think the size difference is pretty shocking. They grow so much in one week!
Today I had 3 more hatch. They will stay in the incubator till tomorrow.
View attachment 1421692View attachment 1421693
Lol well if ya think about it, growing up in Africa they need to grow fast so they can out run all them predators asap. Out in the wild they don't have the luxury of someone protecting them and babying them like chickens do. I'm betting if ya ever got any of the wild breeds of chickens they'd have a similar growth rate to your keets.

Reactions: MrsE88

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lol well if ya think about it, growing up in Africa they need to grow fast so they can out run all them predators asap. Out in the wild they don't have the luxury of someone protecting them and babying them like chickens do. I'm betting if ya ever got any of the wild breeds of chickens they'd have a similar growth rate to your keets.
They grow crazy fast indeed, you rarely see youngsters

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
They grow crazy fast indeed, you rarely see youngsters
Lol wish some fish grew that fast, it would definitely make breeding/selling em that much more efficient.

It's hard enough tho chasing down a chicken, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to catch a guinea. Even a baby guinea would be near impossible to catch by hand imo.

Reactions: fishhead0103666

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lol wish some fish grew that fast, it would definitely make breeding/selling em that much more efficient.

It's hard enough tho chasing down a chicken, I can't even imagine how hard it would be to catch a guinea. Even a baby guinea would be near impossible to catch by hand imo.
Killifish grow like weeds, the annual species.

Guineas can rocket, you see males chase each other at ridiculous speed

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Killifish grow like weeds, the annual species.

Guineas can rocket, you see males chase each other at ridiculous speed
Lol that would be entertaining, and I always thought it was funny when the rooster (Danny) would chase the farm cats away from his hens.

Personally I would love to have some of the annual species but IDK if I'd be able to breed them the right way. Never really ventured into killifish territory except for the clown killis' I had, angelfish ate em in the end. Had a could of chances to get some but didn't want to take the risk quite yet. Not exactly sure what kind they were but these ones here were the closest I could find to what they had for a breeding pair for sale. Fundulopanchax sjoestedti. They were pretty big too, roughly 4in in length. Any idea if $75 for the pair was a good deal or not? Just kind of curious if I lost out on a good deal or if I passed a bad one.

Last edited:

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
That does seem a bit pricey. Basically for killis you feed loads of brine shrimp, give them spawning substrate and watch them go mad

Chasing is something like this:

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
That does seem a bit pricey. Basically for killis you feed loads of brine shrimp, give them spawning substrate and watch them go mad

Chasing is something like this:
Lol pretty much how it was with Danny chasing the cats. Except the cats run allot faster, they had a fear of chickens after he spurred a few of em. He also chased em away from their food dish so he could steal the cat food. My dad made the mistake of training the chickens to go to the coup at night with cat food.

I will say tho, I was pretty tempted to get those killis', they were just gorgeous fish. O well maybe once I'm ready I'll go online and by some there.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You can order eggs of annual killies on Aquabid

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com