• Blood Parrot

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
I like both but honestly blood parrots have a much more special place in my heart. They both can be equally as personable but from my own experience I did have a blood parrot and a flowerhorn at the same time and the flowerhorn’s personality was pretty run of the mill for flowerhorns and not very unique to me but my blood parrot was the most personable fish I ever had. A real glass banger he was. Also parrots are much less inbred and “more pure” I guess you could say. All a blood parrot is, is a Vieja synspilum x amphilophus citrinellus. That’s why you quite commonly see blood parrots easily living 10-15 years while flowerhorn now commonly only live 2-5.

Reactions: Ruturaj

ChristianBouchart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2020
I like both but honestly blood parrots have a much more special place in my heart. They both can be equally as personable but from my own experience I did have a blood parrot and a flowerhorn and the same times and the the flowerhorns personality was idk like the rest and not very unique to me but my blood parrot was the most personable fish I ever had. A real glass banger he was. Alsoparrots are much less inbred and “more pure” I guess you could say. All a blood parrot is, is a Vieja synspilum x amphilophus citrinellus.
Thanks. I appreciate the reasoning. I’m thinking of getting a single blood parrot, I want a wet pet. Just wanted to hear from people regarding their experiences with both fish.

Reactions: HybridFinatic

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Thanks. I appreciate the reasoning. I’m thinking of getting a single blood parrot. Just wanted to hear from people regarding their experiences with both fish.
Btw parrots can get much bigger than you may think. I’d provide atleast a 75 gallon for a single one in the long run but a 40 breeder or 55 will do for quite a while. Seriously I saw a 10-12 inch parrot the other day at out-of-town fish store. It was also very tall and thick.

ChristianBouchart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2020
Btw parrots can get much bigger than you may think. I’d provide atleast a 75 gallon for a single one in the long run but a 40 breeder or 55 will do for quite a while. Seriously I saw a 10-12 inch parrot the other day at out-of-town fish store. It was also very tall and thick.
I’m going to try one in a 65 gallon for now. I will be buying a young one. If the time comes when it needs something larger then I will definitely get something like a 90 gallon just so it has lots of space.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Another idea would be to grow up 3-5. Blood parrots from what I have seen and heard of do very well in groups and interact with each other like friends. They might interact with you a little less but I think it would be a very entertaining tank and they may be a happier. Just a thought. A single parrot would be cool too.

Reactions: Ruturaj

ChristianBouchart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2020
Another idea would be to grow up 3-5. Blood parrots from what I have seen and heard of do very well in groups and interact with each other like friends. They might interact with you a little less but I think it would be a very entertaining tank and they may be a happier. Just a thought. A single parrot would be cool too.
I considered that but I really want just one. I like the idea of having a fish that will interact and have good personality. But it’s a good suggestion.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Granted I also had my flowerhorn for a shorter time than my blood parrot and I only kept the flowerhorn until he was sub-adult so maybe not enough of time for his personality to develop fyi. Also I know a lot of wet pets are kept in bare-bottom tanks with no aquascape but I’d personally advise against it.

ChristianBouchart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2020
Granted I also had my flowerhorn for a shorter time than my blood parrot and I only kept the flowerhorn until he was sub-adult so maybe not enough of time for his personality to develop fyi. Also I know a lot of wet pets are kept in bare-bottom tanks with no aquascape but I’d personally advise against it.

Mine will have substrate with some driftwood for him to hide. ?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store