Need help with dechlorinating water

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
You will need to test what the ammonia level is at your home tap water supply as it may differ from what it is at duanes duanes or other fish keepers homes.
hmm yes my test kits I don't believe are to accurate as it goes by colour any other more exact ways of testing?or do you reckon it doesn't need to be exact swell as this if I have a high ammonia out of the tap content what should I do??

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Get Safe, will save you from any worries and is also dirt cheap. Not to mention it lasts FOREVER

Reactions: deeda and kno4te

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Luke tomkinson Luke tomkinson , what test kit are you using for ammonia? If you don't have one that measures in PPM, either get one or you'll just be guessing.

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
Luke tomkinson Luke tomkinson , what test kit are you using for ammonia? If you don't have one that measures in PPM, either get one or you'll just be guessing.
ok thank you

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com
dp upu have any reccomendations for any ammonia test kits and what price are they??

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
If your aquarium bio filtration can't remove the freed ammonia from chloramine then you have more important issues than dechlorination.

Yes, just use sodium thiosulphste. Can by a 20kg bag from pool shops very cheaply. Seachem safe works but hideously priced for chemicals but accepted due to slick marketing.

Fish medications are similar.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
what's safe lmao
If you read the thread, Seachem Safe. Powdered dechlor

dp upu have any reccomendations for any ammonia test kits and what price are they??
Get an API master kit, somewhere 25-30 GBP on Amazon UK and can test just about everything.

If your aquarium bio filtration can't remove the freed ammonia from chloramine then you have more important issues than dechlorination.

Yes, just use sodium thiosulphste. Can by a 20kg bag from pool shops very cheaply. Seachem safe works but hideously priced for chemicals but accepted due to slick marketing.

Fish medications are similar.
While you are correct, I would also argue that the little bit of extra money is worth spending to avoid exposing your fish to sudden amounts of ammonia. It really is not that expensive and is worth the peace of mind if any sudden changes in chloramine levels pop up.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Get an API master kit, somewhere 25-30 GBP on Amazon UK and can test just about everything.

While you are correct, I would also argue that the little bit of extra money is worth spending to avoid exposing your fish to sudden amounts of ammonia. It really is not that expensive and is worth the peace of mind if any sudden changes in chloramine levels pop up.

Reactions: deeda

Luke tomkinson

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2019
In an arapaima
www.youtube.com

so what should I do I'm gonna order the test kit but I've already got the sodium thiosulphate, my filtration is extremely good but if so to remove the chloramines what does prime use, I want to know this so I can add it to my sodium solution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store