Animals for an aviary!!!!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
In general it's a much better idea to keep different animal types separate. I would just get your budgies their own cage or smaller aviary and then have separate enclosures for other animals you want to keep. So that they can each have their own needs optimally met and not be endangered by each other.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
In general it's a much better idea to keep different animal types separate. I would just get your budgies their own cage or smaller aviary and then have separate enclosures for other animals you want to keep. So that they can each have their own needs optimally met and not be endangered by each other.
But I want it to be more of a biotope/ecosystem like what you will see in bird exhibits at zoos.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
But I want it to be more of a biotope/ecosystem like what you will see in bird exhibits at zoos.
The problem would be space, although the space you're providing is big, what they provide in zoos for the community setups is humongous, those things have whole trees in them, there's a lot of space and resources available.

Maybe build something larger and have some insectivore reptiles, such as a chameleon.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
The problem would be space, although the space you're providing is big, what they provide in zoos for the community setups is humongous, those things have whole trees in them, there's a lot of space and resources available.

Maybe build something larger and have some insectivore reptiles, such as a chameleon.
Thats true how big would you make it for them also no reptiles can be in there also dont chameleons sometimes eat small birds???

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Many people mix small birds together with success. Parakeets, budgies, some finches, should be OK together. Some other small birds are more aggressive and not as good candidates to mix like lovebirds. One concern with the chameleon or other reptile would be the light setup, you would want to have a basking land UVB setup so it could bask, not sure how that would affect the birds.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Many people mix small birds together with success. Parakeets, budgies, some finches, should be OK together. Some other small birds are more aggressive and not as good candidates to mix like lovebirds. One concern with the chameleon or other reptile would be the light setup, you would want to have a basking land UVB setup so it could bask, not sure how that would affect the birds.
Any specific species should I go for?? Also it is not a going to be a problem because this is going to be an outdoor aviary build and also from what I heard birds acutally do better with uvb it kinda makes sense because they are related to reptiles.

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Yes most birds do need some amount of sunlight, my cages are also outdoor, but I come from a tropical country.

Cockatiels are a docile species, can be mixed with budgies.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
Yes most birds do need some amount of sunlight, my cages are also outdoor, but I come from a tropical country.

Cockatiels are a docile species, can be mixed with budgies.
Are there any more exotic species that can live with the budgies and cockateils?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store