Sports and fitness 2021

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
20 pounds in 6 weeks? Sounds like a bit of it is water weight, make sure to drink plenty of water after the cardio if you aren’t already bud

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You'd be shocked at what a caloric deficit can do, nice work Poseidon ;)

Reactions: Poseidon2.0

Poseidon2.0

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2015
Brooklyn, NY, USA.
20 pounds in 6 weeks? Sounds like a bit of it is water weight, make sure to drink plenty of water after the cardio if you aren’t already bud
Well it is more like 17 pounds, I rounded up. I do drink a lot of water every day. I was 255 so controlling the calories just cut out the excess. I had some pounds to lose!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Thanks! Yup. I was surprised too. Totally works.
I'm eating 3-4 meals a day and still look like a twig haha, must enjoy my youth while it lasts. I was tubby at one point but running and sports fixed that. Even a 2 month hiatus after serious injury only added about 3lbs. Teenage bodies are most unusual.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Since I can't go to the gym I have been doing body weight stuff and using a kettlebell for around 25 minites at home in the mornings and if the weathers nice having a decent walk in the afternoons. Not as muscled as I was but maintaining the strength and I think cardio has improved.
Spend lots of time sitting now and smoking too much Isince I've been working from home so I find it's a good way to clear the head and wake myself up before I start working.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
You sure you're not a zombie? Obviously my fitness still has a ways to go, I usually hover in the low 60s, or down to 50s if I'm very relaxed. It's rare to see people past 50 being properly fit, well done!
Lol. In the uk when you reach a certain age you get a letter from the NHS to go for a thorough check up, it's a good few years since I went for mine. I remember when the nurse took my pulse she was quite surprised because it was very strong but really slow. She explained to me that usually only athletes and very fit people have such numbers. She asked if I was very active and at that time I was doing between 100-150 miles a week on my bike. She said well that explains it then, keep it up. I'm still cycling a lot but no where near as much as I used to and my running is very sporadic because even with quality running shoes your joints really take a hammering, especially road running, and at my age.

Just for info one of the lowest resting heart rates ever recorded was of the Spanish professional cyclist Miguel indurain, five times tour de France winner. He had a resting heart rate as low as mid 20's!!!

Now that is zombie territory lol.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Lol. In the uk when you reach a certain age you get a letter from the NHS to go for a thorough check up, it's a good few years since I went for mine. I remember when the nurse took my pulse she was quite surprised because it was very strong but really slow. She explained to me that usually only athletes and very fit people have such numbers. She asked if I was very active and at that time I was doing between 100-150 miles a week on my bike. She said well that explains it then, keep it up. I'm still cycling a lot but no where near as much as I used to and my running is very sporadic because even with quality running shoes your joints really take a hammering, especially road running, and at my age.

Just for info one of the lowest resting heart rates ever recorded was of the Spanish professional cyclist Miguel indurain, five times tour de France winner. He had a resting heart rate as low as mid 20's!!!

Now that is zombie territory lol.
That volume of cycling will definitely kick one into shape! I can understand the running issues, I'm currently clocking a measly 10 miles a week while my joints are still young.

Mid 20s? That's past ridiculous

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
With the home gym sold and the covid shutting down the fitness club, ive had no access to weights for awhile. The only things ive missed are the versa climber and a decent pull up bar.

I've been running 5-6 miles 3x a week now. The weather dictates my workout schedule more than anything. I mix in a couple hundred squats and pushups here and there but no routine really.

Im really enjoying this more than the gym based routine i was on before the covid. My joints/arthritis feel better and i seem to have better energy and focus during the day at work. The balmy weather has no doubt helped, but i cant wait for some heat so i can hopefully start shedding some more weight.

Otherwise been doing some hiking/climbing and tennis with the SO, and im supposed to join her in some yoga classes soon.

Reactions: Hendre

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Back in the gym for a couple weeks now. Definitely lost some of my snap these last few months. Working my way back up gradually though.

I wanted to share a little bit about my favorite exercise machine, the versaclimber. You know, this thing:

HModelMensHealthAward.jpg

To those unfamiliar with it, the versaclimber is perhaps the most intense cardio machine ever devised. Its a remarkably simple machine, gears roll along a chain in a reciprocating motion, and you can alter the resistance by adjusting the chains tension.

I was first acquainted with it in college, where it was used by my strength coach as a deterrent for being late to workouts. First time you were late, you had to do 2000 ft after the workout, the second time, 5000, the third time...well no one knows because no one was ever late after having to do the 5000.

I started voluntarily using it when i joined my current gym 3 years ago. At the time, i was having difficulty with joint and lower back pain, which was making my preferred cardio method, running, very strenuous and was even affecting my work. I started doing 1000 ft as quickly as i could as a warmup for free weights, but soon found myself building special workouts around 2000-2500 ft stints on the VC. I found it returned a much needed spring to my step, and even improved my running form so that i wasn't pounding on my knees and ankles so much. It also tightened up previously flabby parts of my body, and noticeably enhanced muscular stamina.

The versaclimber is low impact, but gets your heart beating quicker than anything else. And when used correctly, a stroke on the versaclimber will work nearly every muscle in your body. As i noted before, it is not for the faint of heart, its for those who enjoy an intense burn of a workout.

Im currently on the lookout for a used one to put in my home. New ones are on the stupid side of the money spectrum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store