Getting a leopard gecko

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
What're you using for heating? Substrate?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
What're you using for heating? Substrate?
Substrate is just some paper towel for easy clean up and as for heating I have a basking lamp on one side of the tank shinning down ontop of the cave along with a small heat pad under the cave. I'm going to be getting another hide for it later today so that it can choose whether it prefers sleeping in a warmer spot or a cooler spot in the tank. And as promised here's some pics. I'll be adding more pics as it gets more and more settled in.

IMG_20201017_132025161_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201017_131749340_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201017_131825836_HDR.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Looks good!
I tried to replicate how it was being kept at PetSmart so that it wouldn't be as stressful of an environment change. The fake plants will eventually be thinned out if not completely removed later on but I figured atleast this way that it would be more relaxing for it with the additional cover. Made some decent progress tho on the taming part. It won't just immediately run away from me like it did yesterday. That and I even got licked a few times lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadeye

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Well sadly my lil guy passed away last night. No clue on what happened either. He was eating regularly, temps in the house never went down past 70°F at night, and he was really starting to bulk up too. His tail was as thick as is whole body was so it couldn't have been lack of food. He never showed any signs of being sick or anything. Never refused food either.

I honestly don't know how or why he died like he did. He was just fine when I left for work and when I came back he was already gone. The only thing I can even remotely think of it affecting him is that I found some Asian beetles outside and inside his tank. Obviously removed em as I found em but I do know that they are toxic to eat for animals so maybe he ate one or 2 and that's what did him in?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. It'll be a while before I think of getting another one but even still if I did something wrong I'd atleast like to know for the future.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
It could have been the beetle, sounds like it was healthy before. But I have a gecko that for some reason accidentally ate a old dead ladybug in this box I put him in while I was cleaning their tank, but he was fine afterwards.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well sadly my lil guy passed away last night. No clue on what happened either. He was eating regularly, temps in the house never went down past 70°F at night, and he was really starting to bulk up too. His tail was as thick as is whole body was so it couldn't have been lack of food. He never showed any signs of being sick or anything. Never refused food either.

I honestly don't know how or why he died like he did. He was just fine when I left for work and when I came back he was already gone. The only thing I can even remotely think of it affecting him is that I found some Asian beetles outside and inside his tank. Obviously removed em as I found em but I do know that they are toxic to eat for animals so maybe he ate one or 2 and that's what did him in?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. It'll be a while before I think of getting another one but even still if I did something wrong I'd atleast like to know for the future.
So sorry for your loss.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
So sorry for your loss. ?
I just did some research, and it looks like Asian beetles are toxic, so that must have been it. No way you could have stopped it, it’s just the lizard’s natural instinct.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store