Little update

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Congratulations Jim. Very beautiful rays. Fun story, I feel like I am heading in a direction fairly similar.
Thanks mate. You have probably read the same as me on more than one occasion over the years.
Rays are VERY addictive!!!
In my opinion, there is nothing more satisfying than breeding rays, producing nice stock and then breeding that stock on to produce something unique.
Having a tank with healthy pups is one of the best feelings of accomplishment I can think of in fish keeping.

• Love
Reactions: Zanzag and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I hope to follow these steps within the next few years. All of my current rays are still quite young to breed but I can wait for now.

thank you for the encouragement to keep pursuing this.you are truly an inspiration to many of us noobs in the ray game Sir.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
I hope to follow these steps within the next few years. All of my current rays are still quite young to breed but I can wait for now.

thank you for the encouragement to keep pursuing this.you are truly an inspiration to many of us noobs in the ray game Sir.
Thank you!
You will no doubt have your fair share of wins and losses (we all do) but all you can do is learn from them.
If I had to give a couple of bits of top advice it would be this.

1. Watch out for young males as they learn to mate. They can cause A LOT of damage!
2. Do not mix Thai import rays with Europeans bred rays. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. If you are unlucky as I was, the Thai ray will have some unexplainable virus and this can wipe out European bred rays. I nearly lost everything due to this, lost over 20 pups as a result over a period of 2 years whilst I battled the virus!!

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Looking great jim and what an achivement to have produced so many pups! Ive only ever had one litter even tho been trying for years and years can only keep one male tho he wont except any others. Great job! And those blackies are stunning. I think as a whole with you and rich from wharf and a very few others your doing the uk proud of these bds!

Reactions: jim barry

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Looking great jim and what an achivement to have produced so many pups! Ive only ever had one litter even tho been trying for years and years can only keep one male tho he wont except any others. Great job! And those blackies are stunning. I think as a whole with you and rich from wharf and a very few others your doing the uk proud of these bds!
Thanks Daz, appreciate the kind words.
The ray scene in the UK appears to be very quiet these days though. I have a new batch of stunning pure BD and not a sniff of interest from anyone.

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus

dazzapolypterusweeksii

Aimara
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
leicester,uk
Hopefully its just due to corona. Also theres so many ppl producing pups now and alot of buyers just want the cheapest and not pay more for the cream. Found ppl now want mini rays to.i tried selling a castexi male as my original wouldnt except him and ive had to let him go for peanuts and at a fraction of what i paid.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hopefully its just due to corona. Also theres so many ppl producing pups now and alot of buyers just want the cheapest and not pay more for the cream. Found ppl now want mini rays to.i tried selling a castexi male as my original wouldnt except him and ive had to let him go for peanuts and at a fraction of what i paid.
Not good mate

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store