Sep 27, 2018
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
5>
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
His display tank is 270 gal with a 180 sump. No other fish in tank. He's about 12-14 inches at the moment. 78F water temp. 5ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite.

Was doing a water change and found this thing on his back. I don't want to just throw medicine in the tank and hope for the best. He eats like a king, is active and doesn't appear outwardly affected. Anyone seen this before? PS, 3rd pic is just because he's awesome.IMG_3014.jpgimage2 (6).jpegimage0.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to make out but I’d suggest getting some tweezers and pull it out. If it’s a solo parasite then pulling it out would get rid of it and no meds needed.

Crempog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2018
Hard to make out but I’d suggest getting some tweezers and pull it out. If it’s a solo parasite then pulling it out would get rid of it and no meds needed.
Thank you.

I tried to pull it out but couldn’t get a good grip on it with the tweezers. It also seems to hurt him when I try. I’m going to let him calm down a bit and try again this evening unless you have any other suggestions. Thanks again.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Thank you.

I tried to pull it out but couldn’t get a good grip on it with the tweezers. It also seems to hurt him when I try. I’m going to let him calm down a bit and try again this evening unless you have any other suggestions. Thanks again.
Try again and if not then maybe try clove oil with light sedation and pull it out. Other option is leave alone and watch.

Reactions: Crempog and dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
better tweezers?

gl!

Reactions: Crempog
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com