Fluval Evo Saltwater Startup

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They sell the pellet trained ones online and occasionally in stores, but you’re looking at a very expensive fish.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow
I think mandarins need 20 gallon
As long as you have enough live rock you're kinda fine.

This might not work (actually it definitely won't work) for most people, but whenever I get any new live rock I'll plop it in to my 6" peacock mantis setup. He gets rid of any unwanted guests real quick lol. Good thing too because a rock I got had a burrow with a 3 inch mantis shrimp in it that I never would have noticed if my peacock hadn't killed it.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
As long as you have enough live rock you're kinda fine.

This might not work (actually it definitely won't work) for most people, but whenever I get any new live rock I'll plop it in to my 6" peacock mantis setup. He gets rid of any unwanted guests real quick lol. Good thing too because a rock I got had a burrow with a 3 inch mantis shrimp in it that I never would have noticed if my peacock hadn't killed it.
Man I want a mantis...
I guess I’ll settle with the pistol shrimp I’ll be getting for now.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Aren’t Pistol Shrimps real dangerous because they snap so loud and can break the glass?
I’ve never heard of them breaking glass. From what I know, a single one is only really an annoyance and can only stun a fish or shrimp. Harmless otherwise. Basically blind as well. A whole colony can basically thanos snap though. They do live in colonies like ants, they can do a synchronized snap so loud it can kill a human (at least so I’ve been told).
Now a peacock mantis, that can break glass.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I’ve never heard of them breaking glass. From what I know, a single one is only really an annoyance and can only stun a fish or shrimp. Harmless otherwise. Basically blind as well. A whole colony can basically thanos snap though. They do live in colonies like ants, they can do a synchronized snap so loud it can kill a human (at least so I’ve been told).
Now a peacock mantis, that can break glass.
Yeah that’s a problem I could pass on, right now my biggest issue is working right next to a tank that smells like decaying raw shrimp ?

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
Got the bug bad and decided to have some fun as I came across a pretty good deal on the fluval 13.5 gallon saltwater kit.

I used Caribsea live black sand and got nutri -seawater after being talked into it by a lfs owner. Said it’s small enough that it would be easier to just use this to fill and do water changes as it’s a minimal amount. I got one piece of dry rock (7.5lbs) instead of live to minimize the chance of unwanted guests. I will be doing a fishless cycle this time around and spiking the ammonia with 2 pieces of raw shrimp for about 2-3 days. Once the ammonia is high enough I’ll be dosing Dr. Tim’s aquatics. The lights and skimmer will stay off until the cycle is complete. I also have a small pump to help circulate.

The only real plan is to have a small clown pair or a watchmen goby with a orchid dottyback with some soft coral.

Any insight you may have would be appreciated as this is new territory for me.

View attachment 1444365
does the setup come with the pump and skimmer and heater?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Pump yes
Heater no
Skimmer no, but it isn’t really necessary in so small a tank.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
does the setup come with the pump and skimmer and heater?
A water pump comes with the set but you’ll need a wave pump and heater. Mixed reviews on the skimmer, some say you don’t need it with this size. I paid $100 for the tank and another $60 for the skimmer+pump. (Already had a spare heater). Then another $100 for the rock, water, and sand so $260 total. If you order online with petco, you get 25% off so I found it be worth it. I think you can get away without the skimmer so even cheaper if you want, maybe add a air stone if you don’t do a skimmer.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store