Fluval Evo Saltwater Startup

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Most important mod would be to get a powerhead. It really helps with the flow and is good for the corals.

Reactions: Potato Patatto

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
A water pump comes with the set but you’ll need a wave pump and heater. Mixed reviews on the skimmer, some say you don’t need it with this size. I paid $100 for the tank and another $60 for the skimmer+pump. (Already had a spare heater). Then another $100 for the rock, water, and sand so $260 total. If you order online with petco, you get 25% off so I found it be worth it. I think you can get away without the skimmer so even cheaper if you want, maybe add a air stone if you don’t do a skimmer.

After a quick google, don’t put a air pump in a saltwater tank.

I used the Fluval Evo 13.5 for the peacock until he grew out of 5", now he's in a 27.5. I think the most important thing you could get for keeping fish in there would be a powerhead, especially if you're growing coral. When I used it the only stocking I had was the mantis and then a really big conch, (the only cleaner I could find that he didn't immediately eat, he did kill that too eventually though). I needed a skimmer obviously since I was only feeding live at the time (crayfish, hermit crabs, snails, crabs etc.), and a heater. Not much else was necessary.

The most difficult thing about mantis keeping is you need access to gigantic amounts of live food, preferably freshwater since SW feeders could have communicable parasites. I found mine didn't do well at all on frozen stuff. He'd eat it but he was visibly agitated and once almost punched the glass (the only time I've ever seen him do something like that), he started smashing up the live rock as well, something else I'd never seen from him. I switched him back to live and then he was fine. My theory is that he was just depressed from not being able to kill things.

Second most difficult thing is the messiness. Obviously when they're punching the guts out of some unfortunate crustacean it makes a lot of mess and back when I was new to SW the sheer amount of rotting organic matter almost killed my mantis with a mini cycle. This was with a 30 gallon HOB along with the filter that comes with the tank. That's when I decided to move him. Be prepared to overfilter any tank you have a mantis in, I'd consider them as much of a bioloader as a fish 3 times their size. We're talking blue tang levels of messiness, just make sure you have a good sump in any mantis tank. i would not consider the 13.5 as a peacock mantis accommodation long-term.

I will say that the on-tank filter is really good for regular stocking. In my opinion the Evo 13.5 is a really good starter setup for people new to SW, the ability to customize it as well as the quality and the included sump makes things really convenient. Just don't keep a mantis in it lol.

Reactions: Deadeye

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I used the Fluval Evo 13.5 for the peacock until he grew out of 5", now he's in a 27.5. I think the most important thing you could get for keeping fish in there would be a powerhead, especially if you're growing coral. When I used it the only stocking I had was the mantis and then a really big conch, (the only cleaner I could find that he didn't immediately eat, he did kill that too eventually though). I needed a skimmer obviously since I was only feeding live at the time (crayfish, hermit crabs, snails, crabs etc.), and a heater. Not much else was necessary.

The most difficult thing about mantis keeping is you need access to gigantic amounts of live food, preferably freshwater since SW feeders could have communicable parasites. I found mine didn't do well at all on frozen stuff. He'd eat it but he was visibly agitated and once almost punched the glass (the only time I've ever seen him do something like that), he started smashing up the live rock as well, something else I'd never seen from him. I switched him back to live and then he was fine. My theory is that he was just depressed from not being able to kill things.

Second most difficult thing is the messiness. Obviously when they're punching the guts out of some unfortunate crustacean it makes a lot of mess and back when I was new to SW the sheer amount of rotting organic matter almost killed my mantis with a mini cycle. This was with a 30 gallon HOB along with the filter that comes with the tank. That's when I decided to move him. Be prepared to overfilter any tank you have a mantis in, I'd consider them as much of a bioloader as a fish 3 times their size. We're talking blue tang levels of messiness, just make sure you have a good sump in any mantis tank. i would not consider the 13.5 as a peacock mantis accommodation long-term.

I will say that the on-tank filter is really good for regular stocking. In my opinion the Evo 13.5 is a really good starter setup for people new to SW, the ability to customize it as well as the quality and the included sump makes things really convenient. Just don't keep a mantis in it lol.
That is some good insight thank you. I’m going to add a banded coral shrimp first along with a snail or hermit crab (thinking algae cleaners long run). Next most likely a watchmen goby, then a pair of smaller clowns. Then I’ll try a soft coral but I’m not gonna add anything until the nitrites come down

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
That is some good insight thank you. I’m going to add a banded coral shrimp first along with a snail or hermit crab (thinking algae cleaners long run). Next most likely a watchmen goby, then a pair of smaller clowns. Then I’ll try a soft coral but I’m not gonna add anything until the nitrites come down
You’re gonna want more than just one crab and snail. You can keep around 10 of each in there, and you are gonna need it. They are only really effective in high numbers.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Added an entire bottle of Dr Tims this morning, ammonia ppm around 3... should I remove the food or allow it to continue to decay so the nitrites can keep feeding/multiply?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
While you look into good cleanup crew options, get a brittle star. I picked one up yesterday, and it is one of the coolest things to watch in any of my tanks.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Yeah they look pretty cool. I’m getting antsy and my nitrites aren’t going down so I just did a 40% water change and added another bottle of nitrifying bacteria ? hopefully soon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store