My Fish Crew

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
IMO for a 75g CA community you should stick w/ smaller species like the dwarf SA. HRP are a great choice, but so are other Amatitlania species like nanolutea. Both species get 3-4”. Could have a small group and even breeding pairs that won’t kill everything. It is doable w/ 1 pair of a thorichthys species because they will get too big and aggressive for a 4’ tank. I had a firemouth pair kill a salvini before. I would avoid larger thorichthys like pasionis unless a pair because they get 7”. They are very sensitive to water conditions so will have to do constant water changes to keep them from getting sick. HRP on the other hand are not as fussy. I’ll only keep a group of any thorichthys in a 6’ tank.
I agree with this but differ on some points- HRP can get larger than 3-4", I have personally had a male that was close to 6" before. I agree that the HRP would be a good choice. I have also never seen a pasionis at 7". Would be very interested, don't doubt it's possible, do you have one? I know you have a community of big thoricthys & relatives.

Last edited:

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Great tanks you guys! I have a Golden Severum and a Red-Spotted Severum and I agree they are attention whores even at their 4.0-4.5 Inch size for me already. I hope mine grow out to be as beautiful as these. Keep doing what you're doing!

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
The problem will be the breeding territories, if you get two breeding pairs (likely will) they will each probably stake out half the tank and fight each other, and the remaining un-paired fish will have nowhere to go. That would be my worry. And the maculipinnis get pretty big after a few years, a group will more than fill a 75.
If you are going to try it, might be better off with a slightly smaller species of thoricthys, maculipinnis is pretty much the rowdiest one in my experience. Maybe Pasionis or aureus would be a little better. For the third species, any of the slightly less crazy convict relatives like HRP, myrnae, septemfasciatus, etc would be a good bet.
You could just give it a shot if you really want to, these fish are less vicious than some other CA's and hopefully you would be able to spot problems forming and adjust to fix them. Just be aware it is a bit risky and probably will need adjustment.
Here are some thoricthys pasionis I kept. Groups of thoricthys are lots of fun to watch I think you will enjoy any species you try.
View attachment 1449878
IMO for a 75g CA community you should stick w/ smaller species like the dwarf SA. HRP are a great choice, but so are other Amatitlania species like nanolutea. Both species get 3-4”. Could have a small group and even breeding pairs that won’t kill everything. It is doable w/ 1 pair of a thorichthys species because they will get too big and aggressive for a 4’ tank. I had a firemouth pair kill a salvini before. I would avoid larger thorichthys like pasionis unless a pair because they get 7”. They are very sensitive to water conditions so will have to do constant water changes to keep them from getting sick. HRP on the other hand are not as fussy. I’ll only keep a group of any thorichthys in a 6’ tank.

Thanks for the info guys. Thinking about it more, my main interest in CA is really just having a group of thoricthys and green swordtail, so no need for a third species. But if that really isn't doable in a 75, I may stick with the community tank I've got going on, or something else.

Right now I am going to stick with my plan of finishing the scape on the 75 before making any decisions on stocking. I've got a large piece of driftwood on the way and hopefully will have the hardscape and plants done by mid-month.

Reactions: Deadeye

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Great tanks you guys! I have a Golden Severum and a Red-Spotted Severum and I agree they are attention whores even at their 4.0-4.5 Inch size for me already. I hope mine grow out to be as beautiful as these. Keep doing what you're doing!

Thank you!

I should say only 1 of the 3 is an attention whore lol. The breeding pair could care less about anything but each other. Always side by side and basically just stare at me from the back of the tank when I approach.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Welp, problems continue to occur in the 75....

I've lost a bolivian ram and my male apistogramma in the past 3 days.

The ram barely ate and had a bit of a concave stomach, and the apisto was bloated.

I'm concerned about my remaining ram and my angelfish. The remaining ram is not eating and has had a sunken in stomach since I got it about 2 weeks ago, and my angelfish had some odd looking poop. Funnily enough, my school of rummynose and cardinal tetra continue to do well, even though they are considered "fragile" fish.

I'll be treating the tank and their food with epsom salt over the next few days. Luckily the Angel is a lil glutton so I'm not worried about it not eating the treated food.

Oh and to top it all off, I've got a green hair algae outbreak, but at least the brown algae is dying back a ton ???????

FINWIN

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Welp, problems continue to occur in the 75....

I've lost a bolivian ram and my male apistogramma in the past 3 days.

The ram barely ate and had a bit of a concave stomach, and the apisto was bloated.

I'm concerned about my remaining ram and my angelfish. The remaining ram is not eating and has had a sunken in stomach since I got it about 2 weeks ago, and my angelfish had some odd looking poop. Funnily enough, my school of rummynose and cardinal tetra continue to do well, even though they are considered "fragile" fish.

I'll be treating the tank and their food with epsom salt over the next few days. Luckily the Angel is a lil glutton so I'm not worried about it not eating the treated food.

Oh and to top it all off, I've got a green hair algae outbreak, but at least the brown algae is dying back a ton ???????
Keep this journal rolling! We need more.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
I agree with this but differ on some points- HRP can get larger than 3-4", I have personally had a male that was close to 6" before. I agree that the HRP would be a good choice. I have also never seen a pasionis at 7". Would be very interested, don't doubt it's possible, do you have one? I know you have a community of big thoricthys & relatives.
That’s true about HRP. I’ve had males get 5”. It takes a really long time for a pasionis to get that big. Some grow faster than others IME. This male was 7”. Also this male meeki is 6”. This pasionis male was longer, taller bodied and thicker than this meeki. Sadly I lost him to the deppi which was sold.

4542689E-3C16-4389-9201-5EBA091C4352.jpeg

0A76EFEE-DBE4-4FE9-A95F-0980029A7E3F.jpeg

6C9E60EE-A3AA-4200-B3EE-E1933BB69735.jpeg

1EF3F323-6A42-4574-8F84-F691E39EC2FC.jpeg

DC2B9F5E-6A28-4CAB-8384-2AA2E744D3C3.jpeg

00B9F6CC-FE0D-4953-8DD6-9186F7B67253.jpeg

B3EDE314-2A1E-4982-A4CC-946043F603FE.jpeg

5CBA3DB1-DA73-4BB3-894A-55D52729B5B4.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store