My Fish Crew

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
TBH yeah, I count em every morning.. ? My RHTs are still young.. and all the cichlids in the 180 are sub adult 4-5".. I originally had the RHTs in the 180 with the others and a school of lemons w/ no issues. Prolly should have stuck with the taller bodied lemons for this tank, but really wanted to go w/ rummynose because I prefer their schooling.. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic it'll work as the rummynose are pretty quick and the school is decent sized so the RHTs can't focus on any one tetra.. ?
I've got red serpae and colombian in with them right now, and there has never been any issue. Started out with 12-14 of each a little less than 5 years ago and am down to 5 serpae and 6 columbian tetras, so I'm switching to the 22 lemons. Along with everything else, those came in really small as well so they need some time before they can be switched to the 125. I'm not usually a big fan of having two different schools of tetra in a tank, but the lemons and rummynose look really good together..... I guess I've got about a month or two to decide what I am going to do.

Reactions: bkfamus and Deadeye

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I've got red serpae and colombian in with them right now, and there has never been any issue. Started out with 12-14 of each a little less than 5 years ago and am down to 5 serpae and 6 columbian tetras, so I'm switching to the 22 lemons. Along with everything else, those came in really small as well so they need some time before they can be switched to the 125. I'm not usually a big fan of having two different schools of tetra in a tank, but the lemons and rummynose look really good together..... I guess I've got about a month or two to decide what I am going to do.
Nice! I agree the lemons and rummy should compliment each other well.. I've done rummy and cardinals before and it worked well..

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
I guess everything couldn't continue to go perfectly lol.

Caught a small ich outbreak in the 75 the other day. Treated with cupramine and now just waiting to see if everything goes well. Since its winter and the fish are in the garage, I can't get the tank above 78 degrees, when I'd normally raise it a few degrees higher than that.

Currently only a few spots on 2-3 rummynose, so fingers crossed everything will be fine!

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
sorry to hear.. but at least you caught it early and ich is prolly the most treatable freshwater fish disease in my limited experience... I've gotten ich in my tanks four times that i can remember in my 7+ years in the hobby.. each time was my fault and each time I was able to treat with no losses.. Good luck ?

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
sorry to hear.. but at least you caught it early and ich is prolly the most treatable freshwater fish disease in my limited experience... I've gotten ich in my tanks four times that i can remember in my 7+ years in the hobby.. each time was my fault and each time I was able to treat with no losses.. Good luck ?
Thanks,

Its interesting, ich has become a non-issue for me over the past couple years. When I see it come up, usually treating with cupramine solves all problems, but last time the 75 had an ich outbreak, I lost 10-11 rummynose and 5-6 cardinals, which is why I'm a little more on edge than normal lol.

It seems like everything is going well so far. I currently only see a 1-2 spots on a single rummynose.

Reactions: Deadeye

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Update Time!

It’s been 7 months since I got my fish order, and I still haven’t been able to make the stocking switch up happen because I’ve been waiting for the fish in the 75 to get big enough to go in the 125. I’m finally comfortable enough with how big they are, so the switch should happen late next month (July 2022).

I just have to figure out what to do with some of the current stock in the 125. Specifically what to do with my 3 Severum. I obviously can’t keep all 3 in the 75, so it’s either keep the pair (Red and Sam) or the solo male (Tyke). Part of me prefers to keep Red and Sam since they are much smaller than Tyke and I think they along with a nice school of dithers would fill out the 75 nicely. However, Tyke has now been suffering from an unknown disease for over a year and I’d be hardpressed to find someone that would take him off my hands. It’s resisted all treatment but he is actually doing pretty well now (active and eating), but still looks sickly. So I probably have to keep him for now.

Now I need to figure out where to rehome Sam and Red. My LFS doesn’t take any trade ins anymore and another store that I know of that will take them is pretty terrible and I worry about their long term fate. So I’m kinda stuck rn which is incredibly frustrating.

Ive also suffered a few losses the past few months. My rainbow shark (Hank) had to be put down after suffering from extreme bloat that didn’t respond to any treatment. She was probably 6-7 years old so she lived a decently long life for a rainbow shark. I also lost my male Apistogramma agasizzi one day out of the blue. Not sure what happened there because he seemed healthy. Everyone else is doing great though!

Now for the good content, here is a pic of the 75 which contains all of the small fish waiting to go into the 125. This tank looks so much better than it did last year:

3AA80763-DE05-412A-9C51-BBA6377C52ED.jpeg

Reactions: Deadeye

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
I should also mention that 75 is a teaser of what the 125 will look like when it's all said and done. I havtoe two more pieces of manzanita wood that will go in the tank, and I'm planning for anubias to be tied to branches throughout the tank.

Stocking will be:
6x RHT
22x Lemon Tetra
11x Rummynose
6x Denison Barbs
3x Blue Eyed Lemon Bristlenose
Pair of Apistogramma Macmasteri "super red"
1x Blue Phantom Pleco
4x Siamese Algae Eaters

I am also going to try keeping the crypt's in the 125, but not sure if the RHT will allow me to keep substrate plants lol.

Also the rummynose may end up as food, but they are leftover from an old stocking plan and I love the way they look with the lemon tetra so i am going to see if it'll work.

Reactions: Deadeye and FINWIN

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Oh boy. It's been over a year since my last update and boy, a lot has changed haha.

For starters, I moved and downsized. No more 75, just a 125:

125 7-23-23.jpg

Stocking has changed significantly. I had to part with Red (Red Severum), Sam (Green Severum) and Eli (EBA) because I just didn't have the space for them anymore, which really sucked. I also lost 2 RHT in the 2-3 months following the move. One due to a freak accident, and the other just sort of withered away. Tyke the green severum is somehow still holding on even though he has never recovered from his mystery illness. I do think that eventually he will need to be put down.

Current stocking:
1x Green Severum
4x RHT
1x Angelfish
22x Lemon Tetras
8x Rummynose
2x Serpae Tetra (7 years old!)
3x Columbian Tetra (7 years old!)
6x Denison Barbs
3x Lemon blue eyes bristlenose
1x bristlenose
1x blue phantom pleco

Future plans include adding a group of Sterbai Corydoras, and maybe some more wood? I'd also like to expand the lemon tetra group to 30-40, but that will wait until the other tetras have passed and probably after I put Tyke down. I also am in the early stages of planning an acrylic 30 gallon for inside the house. Need to build a stand/hood and I plan to stock it with a few bolivian rams, 15-20 cardinal tetra, and 10 otocinclus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store