My Fish Crew

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
So after a night in the tank, everyone has come out looking good!

Added stock (will add photos later today/tomorrow):

22x Lemon Tetra
3x blue eye lemon bristlenose
1x blue phantom pleco
2x Apistogramma macmasteri “super red”.

The one problem I have though, is how tiny everything came in! The bristlenose are all about 3/4 of an inch long lol. These fish are all supposed to go into the 125….. but that’s not going to happen right now. I’m mainly concerned about the bristlenose and female apistogramma being picked off by the bigger fish.

So definitely a bit of a curveball, but I’ll adapt. Instead of just a 2 week quarantine, I’ll give everything a month in the 75 to put on more size and we’ll see where we go from there. It may take more like 2-3 months to get this fish to adequate size.

Now this entire plan may change depending on the fate of Tyke. He’s not looking great again. He just has an infection of some sort that continues to reoccur. His mouth, side and caudal fin all are in rough shape. I’m treating with a new type of antibiotic/fungal medication, so we’ll see if it works. Kanaplex helped a lot in the past but did nothing this most recent go around.

If Tyke passes away in the next month, the only large fish left in the 125 will be my red head tapajos, and I feel a lot more comfortable putting in smaller fish with them.

On the bright side everyone besides Tyke are doing great. Water quality remains very good, with nitrates maxing out at 20 ppm in the 125 and 5 ppm in the 75.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
First photo:

View attachment 1480602

Male Apistogramma macmasteri “super red”. Only 1.5” in length and look at that amazing coloration!
Nice! I just converted a 75 to SA with 4 RHT, 16 Rummynose, 10 otos and the stars, a trio of macmasteri... loving it so far.. now have 4 different pairs/ trios of Apistos in my 13 tanks..
Apistos will always be my favs..

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Nice! I just converted a 75 to SA with 4 RHT, 16 Rummynose, 10 otos and the stars, a trio of macmasteri... loving it so far.. now have 4 different pairs/ trios of Apistos in my 13 tanks..
Apistos will always be my favs..
I've got a male agassizi in the 125 and he runs with the big boys. Eventually he'll be swapped with the macmasteri pair and will reside in the 75. The male macmasteri is always right up front and center begging me for food so I hope he'll have similar confidence to the agassizi when around much bigger fish. Just need the female to get bigger because she's barely an inch in length.

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
I've got a male agassizi in the 125 and he runs with the big boys. Eventually he'll be swapped with the macmasteri pair and will reside in the 75. The male macmasteri is always right up front and center begging me for food so I hope he'll have similar confidence to the agassizi when around much bigger fish. Just need the female to get bigger because she's barely an inch in length.
Mine is fearless always front and center despite the presence of larger RHTs..

I also have a nijsenni pair and a spare tiny tefe female in a 180 with much larger rotkeils, geo sveni, angels and a chocolate.. no problems and always out when feeding.20211205_154949.jpg20211205_154825.jpg

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Mine is fearless always front and center despite the presence of larger RHTs..

I also have a nijsenni pair and a spare tiny tefe female in a 180 with much larger rotkeils, geo sveni, angels and a chocolate.. no problems and always out when feeding.View attachment 1480698View attachment 1480699
Well thats good to know! Kinda off topic but do you ever have any concerns about your rummynose with RHT? I'm having a really hard time letting go of my school, but the only option is for them to go in the 125 if I keep them.

Reactions: Deadeye

bkfamus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2020
Well thats good to know! Kinda off topic but do you ever have any concerns about your rummynose with RHT? I'm having a really hard time letting go of my school, but the only option is for them to go in the 125 if I keep them.
TBH yeah, I count em every morning.. ? My RHTs are still young.. and all the cichlids in the 180 are sub adult 4-5".. I originally had the RHTs in the 180 with the others and a school of lemons w/ no issues. Prolly should have stuck with the taller bodied lemons for this tank, but really wanted to go w/ rummynose because I prefer their schooling.. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic it'll work as the rummynose are pretty quick and the school is decent sized so the RHTs can't focus on any one tetra.. ?

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store