My Fish Crew

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
That’s true about HRP. I’ve had males get 5”. It takes a really long time for a pasionis to get that big. Some grow faster than others IME. This male was 7”. Also this male meeki is 6”. This pasionis male was longer, taller bodied and thicker than this meeki. Sadly I lost him to the deppi which was sold.

View attachment 1450214

View attachment 1450215

View attachment 1450216

View attachment 1450217

View attachment 1450218

View attachment 1450219

View attachment 1450220

View attachment 1450221
Sorry for your loss.

GentleGiantsCichlidKeeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2020
Toronto, Canada
Thank you!

I should say only 1 of the 3 is an attention whore lol. The breeding pair could care less about anything but each other. Always side by side and basically just stare at me from the back of the tank when I approach.
I have a 5 in. Golden Severum female right now and a little 2 1/2 inch Red-Spotted Severum supposedly a male so I could have the same situation, but i hope not because I can't say I don't like the attention they give me too :ROFL: ......

Reactions: cmsbthebest

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
I have a 5 in. Golden Severum female right now and a little 2 1/2 inch Red-Spotted Severum supposedly a male so I could have the same situation, but i hope not because I can't say I don't like the attention they give me too :ROFL: ......
Don't worry, they didn't pay me any mind even before they paired up lol

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
Welp, I think the 75 may be hitting rock bottom (or at least I hope so).

I'm concerned about internal parasites, I've got a small ich outbreak, a hair algae explosion, and some cyanobacteria present. All of this has occurred in the last 1-2 weeks.

So now I'm:

1) Treating food with epsom salt for internal parasites

2) Treating the tank with external parasite (ich) medication

3) Ordered another heater to help bring temp up (I think ich may be from stress due to low temperature, tank is in the garage and its winter)

4) Will be hand removing as much hair algae/green algae as possible

5) Hardcore gravel vacuuming

6) Picking up 4 Siamese Algae Eaters to help with hair algae (whenever my LFS gets them in stock again)

7) Considering doing a blackout for 3 days.

8) Adding a phosphate removal substance to my FX4

9) Cutting down on lighting every day

Ugh, hopefully all of this work leads to a healthy, balanced tank. I really can't wait until I can look back on this thread and be happy with where the tank is at.

On the bright side though, everything in the 125 has been great now for 2 years, and was great for the previous 2 years all of the inhabitants were in a 75! *Knock on wood*

Reactions: Deadeye

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
75 update:

B8E41CD8-B658-4A27-8A36-3D7EB2A0E034.jpeg
Things are getting better!

I’ve been treating for ick the past few days. Pretty much everything is gone and I only lost ~4 rummynose and ~3 oto’s. Treatment will continue for a few more days.

2nd heater is added and I am able to keep the tank at a stable 79 degrees finally.

also, most of the hair algae has died back! Idk if it’s the lessened lighting (2 hrs less a day), the Siamese algae eaters or maybe even the ick treatment, but it really has died back a ton the past 3 days or so. Pretty much all gone now. Brown algae is appearing at a significantly lower rate now too. Still have some Cyanobacteria present, but I’m planning to manually remove it all next weekend when I do a very thorough cleaning once ick treatment is done and I can do a water change again.

49ED90D6-545F-4CD5-9EF1-DD4A4BAE1289.jpeg

my centerpiece wood was delivered as well. It’s about 3 feet long and 16 inches tall, so it will fill out the 75 very nicely. Planning to tie a bunch of Anubis to it.

cmsbthebest

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2011
CA
61C24A06-5FEF-4D0F-97D4-B9DF9B41B83C.jpeg

After a couple hours of work, the 75 gallon is finally done being scaped (for now).

Now I just have to determine whether I stick to the South American community, or go to a Central American cichlid group.....

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Toiletcar Toiletcar Sorry you lost that fish man, really was a stunner! Glad I asked, that is biggest pasionis I have seen for sure
Thanks man! Will get more eventually. I believe the largest thorichthys species is callolepis getting even bigger.

Reactions: Gourami Swami
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store