Reptile in a 50 gallon

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
I have a crested. Very awesome. But they need a lot of vertical space. I have a screen tank currently empty. After i'm dont my 50 thats my next project and I want to get a gargoyle or another crested.

Edit: You cant hold anoles if I remember correctly?
you can hold anoles... you just cant put them back in their cage after

• Haha
Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
you can hold anoles... you just cant put them back in their cage after
All of my current lizards have gotten out at one point, luckily the anole was at night so it went to sleep so I could catch it.
My take:
Crestie: impossible to find if you don’t see it come out, after a few weeks it pops up, let’s you pick it up and toss into cage.
Giant day gecko: Fast as hell, easy to trick and catch.
Anole: If it didn’t go to sleep on a sheet next to its cage it would have gotten away. Luckily, he did.

Apparently giant days and anoles are handleable. My giant day is insane, skittish too, though he has calmed down. Maybe one day. You would have to train an anole from a hatchling for it to be calm. What I don’t understand is why wild ones are always calmer than the captive bred ones, you would think captive are already accustomed to people.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
All of my current lizards have gotten out at one point, luckily the anole was at night so it went to sleep so I could catch it.
My take:
Crestie: impossible to find if you don’t see it come out, after a few weeks it pops up, let’s you pick it up and toss into cage.
Giant day gecko: Fast as hell, easy to trick and catch.
Anole: If it didn’t go to sleep on a sheet next to its cage it would have gotten away. Luckily, he did.

Apparently giant days and anoles are handleable. My giant day is insane, skittish too, though he has calmed down. Maybe one day. You would have to train an anole from a hatchling for it to be calm. What I don’t understand is why wild ones are always calmer than the captive bred ones, you would think captive are already accustomed to people.
i had a crestie who i never closed the cage of and he basically used his cage as base camp and would explore at night. one of my most interesting reptile experiences. i think multiple new Caledonian geckos in a 50 would be quite cool. id probably try to find some type of chameleon capable of living in a 50 gallon personally but since its a glass aquarium youd need some type of fan to blow in and remove air since they need excellent airflow.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
i also leave my beardie in the garden all day every day every summer unattended which i think says allot about their personality.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
imo bearded dragons can be pretty uninteresting as they are like the 3rd most popular pet. also imo 50 gallons is not large enough (which ik sounds untrue) but just wait until he surfs the glass and youll see that your tanks wayy too small. i have mine in a 75 and when hes feeling rambunctious i feel bad and take him out but hell go back to where his tank is and surf the outside. a small uromastyx species would be my personal choice for that tanksize(research the specific species you want because they have a gigantic range in size, humidity, and heat requirements. from what ive heard blue tongue skinks trump bearded dragons as the best pet lizard if you could get one i would highly recommend doing so. but finally i think you should find the reptile you want then the tank it needs. the aquarium itself should almost mean nothing to you in cost considering you should be owning whatever reptile you choose for atleast the next 10 years and providing food/care/ LIGHTING(cannot stress how expensive it gets for desert species) which will make the tank almost irrelevant in price. personally if i was going to make the commitment of getting a lizard again id just go all in and buy a frilled lizard or tegu. also 50 gallons are tall and i want you to realize that the lizard will need to be able to get within atleast 8” of its basking bulb which could be tricky depending oh how you set the tank up so you might be better off getting a non desert species which would be allot more relax about this stuff and you could probably scape the tank in a much cooler way. also finally your bearded dragon will ruin the plants you put with him its just a matter of time so if youre to make a cool scape beardies are probably not for you.
Very well said. I plan on getting a baby bearded if I do get one. I’m turning 16 in a week. So a 10 year commitment is what I really want to go to my own house, and I can get any size I want. I did forget to mention the 50 gallon would be temporary for any big reptile I got. I love tegus but don’t they get like massive? I like the idea of frilled dragons but hear they can be nasty, I was considering one a long time ago. And I really want something I can enjoy handling and my family can too. I have younger siblings who of course won’t be holding it but maybe petting it or such.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
i had a crestie who i never closed the cage of and he basically used his cage as base camp and would explore at night. one of my most interesting reptile experiences. i think multiple new Caledonian geckos in a 50 would be quite cool. id probably try to find some type of chameleon capable of living in a 50 gallon personally but since its a glass aquarium youd need some type of fan to blow in and remove air since they need excellent airflow.
New Caledonians don’t like each other in any amount of space. I wish they did, mine would have a buddy if it were possible.

Chameleons also need screen because they fight their reflection, if a betta were a lizard...

I think beardie, skink, or maybe some iguana relatives (basilisk, Chinese dragon) could work if you have an upgrade plan and want something more handleable.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
New Caledonians don’t like each other in any amount of space. I wish they did, mine would have a buddy if it were possible.

Chameleons also need screen because they fight their reflection, if a betta were a lizard...

I think beardie, skink, or maybe some iguana relatives (basilisk, Chinese dragon) could work if you have an upgrade plan and want something more handleable.
im not sure where youre getting the statement “new caledonian geckos dont like eachother” from i can link some articles if youd like to read up on why thats not true. waterdragons, basilisks, and most territorial lizards fight with their reflections so i think that the hobby should make up its mind on reflective surfaces and not just apply them to a few reptiles. water dragons and basilisk which are really active get 3ft long and need pretty elaborate setups wont be happy in a 50 gallon(a 3ft tank) for very long at all.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020
Very well said. I plan on getting a baby bearded if I do get one. I’m turning 16 in a week. So a 10 year commitment is what I really want to go to my own house, and I can get any size I want. I did forget to mention the 50 gallon would be temporary for any big reptile I got. I love tegus but don’t they get like massive? I like the idea of frilled dragons but hear they can be nasty, I was considering one a long time ago. And I really want something I can enjoy handling and my family can too. I have younger siblings who of course won’t be holding it but maybe petting it or such.
yes tegus get massive and frilled lizards arent as easy to tame as other reptiles but i think the commitment to a bearded dragon really isnt that much smaller. while bearded dragons require less over the span of 15 years it really adds up and at a certain point i realized the few added care elements of something that isn’t labeled as beginner friendly are really nothing in the long run. im saying that if youre going to make this big commitment to something it better be the reptile you truly want there’s nothing like getting 5 years in and realizing you want something else. also youre saying that you being almost 16 is a good thing as far as timing to buy a reptile as you’ll probably be moving out in 2ish years.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
im not sure where youre getting the statement “new caledonian geckos dont like eachother” from i can link some articles if youd like to read up on why thats not true. waterdragons, basilisks, and most territorial lizards fight with their reflections so i think that the hobby should make up its mind on reflective surfaces and not just apply them to a few reptiles. water dragons and basilisk which are really active get 3ft long and need pretty elaborate setups wont be happy in a 50 gallon(a 3ft tank) for very long at all.
Just about everything I’ve read (including a reptile forum I’m on) says that cresties can only be together if breeding, very occasionally does it go otherwise. Gargs are the same way. I’d assume other rhacs would be similar.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Just about everything I’ve read (including a reptile forum I’m on) says that cresties can only be together if breeding, very occasionally does it go otherwise. Gargs are the same way. I’d assume other rhacs would be similar.
I think I read that males will fight but females won’t.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store