geophagus red head HOW LONG AFTER CLEARING A NEST DOES IT TAKE FOR THEM TO BREED?

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
MAIN QUESTION BEFROE YOU READ THE DETAILS: HOW LONG AFTER CLEARING A NEST DOES IT TAKE FOR THEM TO BREED?

so 2 of my red heads have paired off and have made what seems to me to be their choice for a nest, there is long flat rocks to lay on, and is surrounded on one side (facing the center of the 40 breeder [theyre on the right side]) so they pretty much have the half of that side tank to them selves. i see them circle one another, a bit of fin nipping on the female which is normal im sure. but first time breeding them, raised the temp up to 86 weeks agi since i had to ad a hospital discus in there which initiated this whole nest building thing. the male bites my hand any time im near them aggressively. ive added peat pellets as well to help soften the water a bit. so yea, no experience breeding them just looking for any info, they have had this nest for weeks with out spawning but the watrer conditions are set 86 degrees to trick them into spawning, some peat the whole side to them selves. seems to me they have the perfect set up but having been weeks under these conditions im wondering if they will breed. any info from any one whos breed would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
MAIN QUESTION BEFROE YOU READ THE DETAILS: HOW LONG AFTER CLEARING A NEST DOES IT TAKE FOR THEM TO BREED?

so 2 of my red heads have paired off and have made what seems to me to be their choice for a nest, there is long flat rocks to lay on, and is surrounded on one side (facing the center of the 40 breeder [theyre on the right side]) so they pretty much have the half of that side tank to them selves. i see them circle one another, a bit of fin nipping on the female which is normal im sure. but first time breeding them, raised the temp up to 86 weeks agi since i had to ad a hospital discus in there which initiated this whole nest building thing. the male bites my hand any time im near them aggressively. ive added peat pellets as well to help soften the water a bit. so yea, no experience breeding them just looking for any info, they have had this nest for weeks with out spawning but the watrer conditions are set 86 degrees to trick them into spawning, some peat the whole side to them selves. seems to me they have the perfect set up but having been weeks under these conditions im wondering if they will breed. any info from any one whos breed would be greatly appreciated.
It's possible the female may be holding them in her mouth. Also possible for the wriggler's to be placed somewhere else in the aquarium that's probably why the male is biting your hand.

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
It's possible the female may be holding them in her mouth. Also possible for the wriggler's to be placed somewhere else in the aquarium that's probably why the male is biting your hand.
do they continue to spawn after being paired up? because if they did breed already i havent seen any eggs/in mouth wigglers/ free swimming. i removed the other male to give the pair all the space they want without having to depend against him. so hopefully since they have been on the nest for over a month i want to catch a batch and raise them obviously. just wasnt sure if they make the nest and it takes a while for them to breed. thanks for your response

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
do they continue to spawn after being paired up? because if they did breed already i havent seen any eggs/in mouth wigglers/ free swimming. i removed the other male to give the pair all the space they want without having to depend against him. so hopefully since they have been on the nest for over a month i want to catch a batch and raise them obviously. just wasnt sure if they make the nest and it takes a while for them to breed. thanks for your response
You could have left the other male in it would make them better parents. Try not to interfere with changeing anything it may break the bond between the pair. I personally can't tell you exactly when they will spawn but patience is the key.

Drew__ster

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2016
You could have left the other male in it would make them better parents. Try not to interfere with changeing anything it may break the bond between the pair. I personally can't tell you exactly when they will spawn but patience is the key.
good point, i put him back and did a little bit of rearranging but kept the nest area the same. they took from the right wall of the tank to about a third in, thats their nest area id call it. noticed their red head color can be stress related when i removed the number 2 male he lost some of his red-ness. hope everything works out, in a june- july ill have them in a bigger tank with less fish to keep it more species based and prob some cory's. right now theres some dither fish but ill be leaving them out of the new tank

thanks for your input

patients is always key. except for perhaps below Completely different subject:

you prob know nothing about but i got a Siamese algae eater in my planted discuss tank for green hair algae i got from the LFS, and now a watermellon sword that was growing explosively has leaves dieing.. i think its the SAE so im hoping hell eat collard greeens like my plecos do. sorry for the tangent maybe you had any experience with the Siamese algae eaters to know if theyre plant eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store