Catfish recommendations for large pond w/ Koi

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Hello everyone,

I have a very large koi pond and I'm looking at getting some catfish to add some variety. Before I get anything though I'm worried about a few things:

Firstly will they do well in Minnesota (zone 4).
Secondly will they bother the koi in any way.
Thirdly will they breed to quickly and become a problem.

My question is, what species would you recommend in this situation and does anyone have and experience with keeping catfish with koi. So far I've considered a Wels catfish or flathead.

P.S If anyone has any cool non catfish recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Hello everyone,

I have a very large koi pond and I'm looking at getting some catfish to add some variety. Before I get anything though I'm worried about a few things:

Firstly will they do well in Minnesota (zone 4).
Secondly will they bother the koi in any way.
Thirdly will they breed to quickly and become a problem.

My question is, what species would you recommend in this situation and does anyone have and experience with keeping catfish with koi. So far I've considered a Wels catfish or flathead.

P.S If anyone has any cool non catfish recommendations I'd love to hear them.
If you keep temperature good you could try a redtail shark they get decent size and I think would look pretty with koi or maybe some type of ripsaw or Irwini catfish can we see pictures of pond

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
It's a bit to late for pics tonight bit I'll take them after work tomorrow. I'd love to keep tropical fish but it's simply to large to heat, I really don't know how many gallons it is. All I know is that it's lined and 13+ feet deep and a ~100 feet in diameter.

FLA

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I don't have much of an idea for a Zone 4 catfish other than channels and bullheads which you have native. I like albino channels in, ponds, but most of those are bred in the south and I don't know how they acclimate. That is a huge pond which should make it easier for you though. The non catfish idea that jumps out at me is sturgeon. Maybe you can pull off a highfin banded loach, but I think you are too cold for that.

Reactions: tlindsey

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
The wels catfish is listed as injurious wildlife in the US on the federal level. Its listed under the Lacey Act so kind of a bad fish to have especially in an outdoor pond setting.

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
I'd think Bullhead catfish may be your best choice based on adult size (under 18"), availability and hardiness. You could do Channel cats, but they tend to get large. If it was me, I would go looking for the Yellow Bullhead.

Maybe do some research on cold water loaches....that could be an interesting option.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store