Catfish recommendations for large pond w/ Koi

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I'd think Bullhead catfish may be your best choice based on adult size (under 18"), availability and hardiness. You could do Channel cats, but they tend to get large. If it was me, I would go looking for the Yellow Bullhead.

Maybe do some research on cold water loaches....that could be an interesting option.
What about redtail sharks they’re very common fry a reasonable size and would be pretty when fill grown 6”

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Blue or channel catfish would be your best bet. I have seen them kept with koi and it was a great combination.

Reactions: tlindsey

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Blue or channel catfish would be your best bet. I have seen them kept with koi and it was a great combination.
Agreed. Maybe a Bullhead species, but those are your best bet. Channels will probably leave your koi around, and I don’t know enough about blues to tell you anything ?

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
For RTC you’d need a massive area for more than one and you’d need to keep the water decently warm
Oh sorry... I suggested redtail as he stated the pond was 100ft in diameter (that’s huge). I also don’t know what zone 4 is my bad

Gunfleet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2019
What about redtail sharks they’re very common fry a reasonable size and would be pretty when fill grown 6”

Minnesota gets stupid cold (ask the OP) and ponds would most likely ice over during the winter at some point. Redtail sharks are not going to survive that. Heck, I'm not sure the Hi Fin Banded Shark ( Myxocyprinus asiaticus ) could survive that either.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Stepping this back to basics.
Why do you want catfish?
The pond is 100ft diameter and 13 ft deep, the chances of ever seeing a catfish in there are zero to none existent even for any of the larger ones, including gold varieties of the same. The chances of seeing koi frequently are pretty low already, without the added threat of adding something to potentially grow to a size to be a threat to them.
Let us know more about what you want and why and other ideas may come to mind but for now, I just don’t get it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store