Red Texas pair- Super pearly male and fader female

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
I bought these two last July at about 3" and they're both at about 8-9". He expresses a lot of interest in breeding but so far she hasn't shown any. They share a 125 gallon with a school of 5 roseline barbs (who amazingly they have never tried to bother) a 4 lined pim and a dull eyed pleco.

IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

IMG_0210.JPG

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Hello eyespot eyespot ,
You have some very nice looking Red Texas. That male is a beast! Hopefully they will breed for you some day. GL
Thanks! Yeah, he's all in constantly digging pits and cleaning rocks and putting on displays in his breeding colors. She's not feeling it. Sometimes I think he gets frustrated and will chase her around the tank but he's never hurt her (knock on wood). He's actually the one with a few ripped fins from the few occasions she's given him the business.

sarmatian07

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2020
Do you have the opportunity to test the fertility of the male with other females? I think Red Terror or Jaguar are the most suitable females.

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Do you have the opportunity to test the fertility of the male with other females? I think Red Terror or Jaguar are the most suitable females.
No, I don't know that either of them are fertile. As long as they're compatible I'm not concerned about breeding them.

Reactions: Bbuckley

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Very nice pair! I hope fry comes soon!
Thanks! The male definitely looks a lot like a blue Texas but I'm reasonably sure he's a hybrid. I've owned female carpintes but never a male so I can't be certain.
With the red on the fins and the extra big hump he seems to be a red. I don’t see those traits prominently on most Texas/carpintis.

eyespot

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2007
Williamstown, MA
Very nice pair! I hope fry comes soon!

With the red on the fins and the extra big hump he seems to be a red. I don’t see those traits prominently on most Texas/carpintis.
Thanks! Yeah, I brought it up on a CA Cichlid Facebook group and some members said essentially the same thing plus they mentioned there's something about the mouth which is another indicator.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store