Business Ideas.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
So I recently got permission to start my very own business this summer. But I want to point out nothing is set in stone as my parents could change there mind or something can somehow happen And of course I want to do fish! I'm watching videos on the best ways to breed and things like that, but I learned what I SHOULD do and will try. I want to complimentary breed fish. But I dont know which to do, I wanna start with guppies and java moss and work my way up. Slowly of course. But I think I need to find in my area what sells the best. But what are some small fish that can breed complimentary? also for the tank idea I want to d 3 10 gallons and 2 or 3 tubs. I want to buy and sell fish but might work with that in my 75 or the tubs and do all my breeding in the 10g. IDK, because I want to either do both or find out which one is best. Any ideas?

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Maybe goldfish? They aren’t too hard to breed (I did it on accident) and I’ve found mutt goldfish to be very good looking.
Convicts or any cichlid are easy to breed as well.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
call around and see what your local fish store has high demand for.
+1
Look for what people near you are wanting. Then you know what will sell best.

Niki_up

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2018
So I recently got permission to start my very own business this summer. But I want to point out nothing is set in stone as my parents could change there mind or something can somehow happen And of course I want to do fish! I'm watching videos on the best ways to breed and things like that, but I learned what I SHOULD do and will try. I want to complimentary breed fish. But I dont know which to do, I wanna start with guppies and java moss and work my way up. Slowly of course. But I think I need to find in my area what sells the best. But what are some small fish that can breed complimentary? also for the tank idea I want to d 3 10 gallons and 2 or 3 tubs. I want to buy and sell fish but might work with that in my 75 or the tubs and do all my breeding in the 10g. IDK, because I want to either do both or find out which one is best. Any ideas?
I’m speaking from personal experience here.

I find it difficult to sell guppies for more than $2 each. I do sell them for $4 to other aquarists but usually end up off loading them at a lfs for store credit. No one wants to buy them from single aquarists as they usually want to buy multiple types of fish at the same time and it’s just not worth their time to drive to you for a handful of guppies.

my guppies sell at the lfs for $10 each yet I cannot sell them for $4?!? Go figure.

also if you do go with guppies start with a high end pair and breed one true strain. It will be easier to sell.

remember with a higher end pair they can be weaker and might die off, you might lose your initial investment.

guppies also take 6-9 months to fully mature and color up. No one want to buy an in coloured guppies for more than $1.

some other fish that are bread and butter fish would be mollies, platies, bn plecos. But again unless you’ve got a variety it’s going to be hard to sell anything, especially if your far away from people.

Whatever your lfs is selling for you will have to sell for a fraction of their price to get interest.

plants usually sell pretty good, but again you’ve got to sell more quantity of plants than a lfs or lower prices to get interest.

shrimp are another good selling “fish”. They mature in 72 days so you can usually get sellable sizes fairly quickly.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
I’m speaking from personal experience here.

I find it difficult to sell guppies for more than $2 each. I do sell them for $4 to other aquarists but usually end up off loading them at a lfs for store credit. No one wants to buy them from single aquarists as they usually want to buy multiple types of fish at the same time and it’s just not worth their time to drive to you for a handful of guppies.

my guppies sell at the lfs for $10 each yet I cannot sell them for $4?!? Go figure.

also if you do go with guppies start with a high end pair and breed one true strain. It will be easier to sell.

remember with a higher end pair they can be weaker and might die off, you might lose your initial investment.

guppies also take 6-9 months to fully mature and color up. No one want to buy an in coloured guppies for more than $1.

some other fish that are bread and butter fish would be mollies, platies, bn plecos. But again unless you’ve got a variety it’s going to be hard to sell anything, especially if your far away from people.

Whatever your lfs is selling for you will have to sell for a fraction of their price to get interest.

plants usually sell pretty good, but again you’ve got to sell more quantity of plants than a lfs or lower prices to get interest.

shrimp are another good selling “fish”. They mature in 72 days so you can usually get sellable sizes fairly quickly.
10$??? wow. theyre like 3 or 4 dollars (I believe) Around me. selliing them for 50 cents each and say I sell them 50 thats 25$. and with the moss and plants it could be around 40$ a month off of the one tank. In a month.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If you are willing to take the plunge into saltwater, coral is insanely lucrative.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store