Business Ideas.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Sounds right. That’s when mine started laying.
Look at the thrive 20 gallon hex too, cheap as dirt but very well built.
May you please post a link to one? I looked it up but found ones that are 200$ lol.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I've bred all sorts of fish (and other animals) over the years, and sold lots of young fish to local fish stores and through the newspaper, then Craigslist. If I can cover my expenses long term, I am doing pretty well. It is just hard to compete with the large scale fish farms in tropical climates when you have a handful of tanks and are paying to heat and light them, as well as retail for breeding stock and to feed the young. I still recommend the undertaking, but it is definitely hard to make money. Reptiles might be a better bet, but in general, expensive animals are tricky to raise and that is why they are expensive.

A couple of people I know who were successful in making money on fish raised platies and quality guppies. Mollies and swordtails are larger and take too long to develop, unless you have a warm enough climate to keep them outside for a good portion of the year.

Something I have found much more profitable, and supported my family on for ten years, was doing aquarium maintenance. If you have transportation and are old enough to be working in strangers' homes and businesses, you can make good money cleaning tanks for people. That might be an option further down the road.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Reactions: Deadeye

Rayfishowner

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2017
I would recommend breeding cherry shrimp and bristlenose plecos, which can be done in the same tank. These are fairly easy and should command a decent price. Additionally once you get good at it, you can try more expensive variants like green dragon, blue eye, long fin, and even the prized zebra plecos which can fetch hundreds each ?. If you have a 20 gallon tank, I recommend breeding angelfish, I’m doing so rn and if you can get a brine shrimp set up (which is probably necessary for any fish that isn’t a live bearer) you can easily have hundreds of babies each month!

Angelbane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2022
And I was making bespoke bouquets, then started making candy bouquets and gradually opened a branch to sell candy sets and balloons in balloons. Flowers in balloons can still be sold, but you need an area to grow them and it was cheaper. Procurement is too expensive. When I moved the business to Amsterdam, I wanted to have my own plot of land to grow flowers and do displays with dried flowers.

Reactions: Deadeye

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Over the course of my life I have thoroughly sucked all the joy out of a couple of former hobbies by trying to make money at them! :) Not interested in doing that anymore; fun is fun, work is work, and never the twain shall meet...

But if you are one of those incredibly lucky (...and rare!) people who manage to make money doing what they love...and yet still manage to love doing it...more power to you.

I don't actually expect to turn a profit selling fish that I have bred, but usually manage to produce enough to pay for supplies and occasional new fish...either by trading them in for credit at a trusted LFS or by utilizing the end-of-meeting auction at the local aquarium club. Since the club has had its meetings suspended for over a year now thanks to Covid, things have been slow. At either of those venues, the key for me has been to produce something which people actually want (duh...!) and which isn't typically available, or available only sporadically. Cichlids, plecos, oddballs, Corydoras, etc. have all done well for me. I usually get bored with a species after awhile and move on to something else; I virtually never set out to breed a species, I just try to keep them in ideal conditions and let nature take its course. If eggs and/or fry appear, that's great; I'll capitalize.

At the moment, and for the past few years, I have had decent luck selling/trading Ameca splendens, Xenotoca doadrioi and Skiffia francesae (all Goodeids that I really enjoy keeping, although I'm getting tired of Skiffias...), Red Cherry Shrimp (everybody loves'em and they breed like crazy), and hopefully this coming summer some Gymnogeophagus and Cichlasoma cichlids. Get something you like to keep; that will make the work of keeping them much more palatable.

If you want your parents to accept that you are actually trying to run a business, as opposed to just looking for an excuse to get more tanks and livestock :), you should take into consideration your overhead. Living at home removes the biggest business cost (rent) but you still need to buy equipment, food, supplies, etc. to run your enterprise. You also need to place a value on your time. If you spend 10 hours a week taking care of tanks, rather than getting a part-time job that pays you for your time, that's an expense.

The idea of complementary breeding sounds cool, but finding two species that will cohabitate and breed without conflict, and which are also profitable and can be produced in a relatively small set-up is a lot tougher than just choosing one.

Good luck! Remember to keep it fun! :)

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Lots of wisdom from jjohnwm jjohnwm here.

i earned a degree in biology during college because that is what i wanted to learn about. I use none of that education to earn a living over a decade later (i work in railroad construction). I am not wealthy by any means but earn an honest living and love myself for it.

Approaching this hobby as a get rich scheme is downright cancerous imo. We should be appreciating the life, learning from the simplicity and understanding of nature that fishkeeping provides.

"He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth all."

-samuel taylor coleridge-"the rime of the ancient mariner"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store