Platinum blood parrot

KCSemper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2020
Any ideas what these fry make look like??? Mom convict and dad Platinum parrot.

PXL_20201209_231005492.jpg

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD

View attachment 1442778
You'll just end up with a mix of fry with traits of both parents. Some may be short bodied while others may be regular bodied and some may be platinum while others may be black, you'll end up with fry of all sorts of combinations. But in the end they are all still going to be convicts.

KCSemper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2020
You'll just end up with a mix of fry with traits of both parents. Some may be short bodied while others may be regular bodied and some may be platinum while others may be black, you'll end up with fry of all sorts of combinations. But in the end they are all still going to be convicts.
Interesting, when do you really get an idea in terms of colors??

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Interesting, when do you really get an idea in terms of colors??
Should be easy to spot color difference at a young age. Usually by ¼in they are already starting to show their true colors. The black colored ones should already be showing their black bars at that size while the platinums should remain more of a white-light pink in color. The main problem would be IDing short bodies from regular bodies, you'd have to wait till their around 1in before you should really notice a difference in appearance between the 2.

Reactions: KCSemper

coltiger1975

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
Edmonton

View attachment 1442778
My opinion only. Based on my breeding and what I think.

I am going to say mostly black fry and washed out grey blue. I firmly believe these are hrp mutations, so having the leucistic and round body come from this first generation is a long shot. Take one of the siblings and breed back to parent will still give normal bodies but may get some leucistic.

If you use a normal hrp with the platinum, you should get a split between leucistic and blue. Small percentage of roundbodies may show if you cull or grow out in large tank to avoid the stronger normal types eating them.

KCSemper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2020
Thats essentially what it is. Platinum parrot is just a trade game.
Thats essentially what it is. Platinum parrot is just a trade game.
So I ended up breeding the Convict and Platinum Parrot fry to each other and about 25 percent are white. So my guess is that the convict parents carry the white recessive color gene and passed it on to about 1/4 of the fry.

PXL_20210713_001821150.jpg

PXL_20210713_001814577.jpg

PXL_20210713_001707755.jpg

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
So I ended up breeding the Convict and Platinum Parrot fry to each other and about 25 percent are white. So my guess is that the convict parents carry the white recessive color gene and passed it on to about 1/4 of the fry.
Het leucistic convict x leucistic convict would be around half the fry being leucistic. Your results show the leucism trait passed down from only 1 parent, the sibling breeding of het leucistic would yield about 1/4 of fry being leucistic.
How many are shortbody?

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

KCSemper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2020
I am no genetic genius, this is typical in (3) breeding pairs of convicts that I have in (2) separate tanks. all of the breeding pairs came from the same parents originally (1) female convict and (1) so called white platinum Parrot. About 25 percent of the fry in all (3) breeding pairs show the same color pattern of white. When you use punnett squares to express the white color, I identified each Convict parent as carriers or having (1) copy of the recessive white gene (W). Expressed nW (male) and nW (female). Basically parents that look convict but carry 1 copy of (W) that may be passed on to fry. As far as short body, it may be to early to tell that yet. This is still a learning process for me, but exciting nevertheless!! Thanks for the feedback!!
(n) (W)
(n) (nn) 25 percent standard convict nW (50 percent carries (W) looks convict
(W) nW (50 percent carries (W) looks like convict ww (Carries (2) copies of white and displays white color

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store