Long fin Musky

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
ED300357-F38A-4860-B0D4-C0913E9BD5E3.jpeg
Long fin Musky caught somewhere in PA... we see this all the time in the hobby, but the musky community is having a hard time wrapping there head around it ?... anyone know the exact name for this mutation other than just “long fin”?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I have never seen that before,who has had them for sale?
Im just referring to the mutation not this species in particular being for sale... its found in basically all fish like any other mutation.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Having a hard time finding the correct scientific definition of this mutation if anyone can shed some light? Lol... i quite enjoy morphs/deformities and how they show up in all fish species in the same way. This ones got me stumped tho... usually just a quick google of albinism, melanism, etc... and you get some hard evidence. Lots of info on line breeding which i get, but the original random mutation is what starts it. Its just as definitive as an albino popping up randomly in a gene pool/specimen... we see mutations quicker in the hobby with poor gene pools but they still occur in the wild. I suspect this fish was most likely a “stocker” but the same rules apply.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wish I could be helpful, brother. If you say long fin is a common mutation on par with albino, etc., it's news to the ignorant me. But I'd trust yah.

The only recollection in my mind is that long fin koi line started with a single specimen from Malaysia, just like the whole koi deal started 200 years ago with a single bluish colored carp that came to Japan from Germany.

I am turned off by the abnormal but if it scratches you where you itch, I'll be on sidelines watching :) I am just happy to see any signs of fishy life in you... and want more, much much more :)

• Love
Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Wish I could be helpful, brother. If you say long fin is a common mutation on par with albino, etc., it's news to the ignorant me. But I'd trust yah.

The only recollection in my mind is that long fin koi line started with a single specimen from Malaysia, just like the whole koi deal started 200 years ago with a single bluish colored carp that came to Japan from Germany.

I am turned off by the abnormal but if it scratches you where you itch, I'll be on sidelines watching :) I am just happy to see any signs of fishy life in you... and want more, much much more :)

Never quit bein “fishy” my friend ??... just spend my days chasin monsters in the wilds of Ohio or carving lures for them, same sickness as always haha ?... lots of “ornamentals” with this mutation in the hobby. Alot of smaller easy to breed fish like tetras, barbs, cichlids, plecos and of course koi... i have seen a few “entry level” monsters with it also like piranha, pbass, bichirs and oscars. I enjoy the science behind it and the correlation between fish species both fresh and marine just like color morphs or the age old “camel joe” skull deformities common in tsn. Anything 1 of a kind has always sparked my interest. “Freaks of nature” if u will lol... Pretty amazing genetic mutations can be about identical in fish of any size or type. The “camel joe” deformities are another good one i like to follow and a great example. Ranges from catfish to gamefish to whatever else swims man made or naturally producing.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
... or the age old “camel joe” skull deformities common in tsn. ... The “camel joe” deformities are another good one i like to follow and a great example. Ranges from catfish to gamefish to whatever else swims man made or naturally producing.
Recently our colleague F fishdance , who I admire to no end and who knows more than 10 or a 100 guys like me combined, wrote that the source of the bent snouts in farmed TSN and hybrid catfish babies is a consequence of simple but multiple physical injuries (and not of DNA mutation, I surmise). The captive bred and raised fry and babies and juvies run into walls and the snout bends a little with each blow, because their skulls are still soft.

This is why FishDance says farmers try to separate the fish from hard walls by hanging fabric at a small distance from the walls of enclosures.

Perhaps he could elaborate.

On the other hand, Fishman Dave Fishman Dave reported a unique experiment where he observed a possible connection (in his hands and setups) of TSN snout geometry and pH. I or Dave can fetch a link to this.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Recently our colleague F fishdance , who I admire to no end and who knows more than 10 or a 100 guys like me combined, wrote that the source of the bent snouts in farmed TSN and hybrid catfish babies is a consequence of simple but multiple physical injuries (and not of DNA mutation, I surmise). The captive bred and raised fry and babies and juvies run into walls and the snout bends a little with each blow, because their skulls are still soft.

This is why FishDance says farmers try to separate the fish from hard walls by hanging fabric at a small distance from the walls of enclosures.

Perhaps he could elaborate.

On the other hand, Fishman Dave Fishman Dave reported a unique experiment where he observed a possible connection (in his hands and setups) of TSN snout geometry and pH. I or Dave can fetch a link to this.

Although i do agree some of these “accounts” can be/are from “hammer smashed face” ?... i do not believe its not genetics at play also. This mutation occurs in many fish species both in captivity and in the wild. The lack of a missing top jaw/skull formation is just too apparent to claim theyve all ran into a wall. Maybe i can agree in that its a lack of skull formation but the cause i do not agree with. It happens more in farm raised fish sure, id bet it still occurs in ponds or soft sided tanks because its genetic and using the same gene pool too much. Ive put up pics before of several different fish species with this mutation. Trout, bass, and Esox all get it. Ill have to do some pic digging again as ive seen it in marine fish aswell. Surely there are no walls in the ocean... another key observation is that each fish with the deformity would have to hit just the top of its head perfecty above the top lip. Just not possible IMO... most game fishermen call these fish “snub nose” because its just the top skull that never developed resulting in what looks like a giant bottom lip. Sure “spoon bill tsn” and tank smashing can account for half of this debate. Ive owned way too many deformed tsn to know and study that not all cases are from walls/injuries.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store